Interesting "bug"

I noticed something quite strange & wondering if anyone has come across this:

I created a record set & wanted to make the table_name a variable. I declared the variable, but Dreamweaver wanted to parse it as just a string rather than a variable. I tested to see if the variable was set properly and it was. Here is an example of what I mean:

$table = \"colors\";

$sql = \"select * from $table\";

it tries to find a table name called \"$tables\" rather than \"colors\". This is VERY VERY basic stuff, I am really suprised at such a sloppy error. Anybody seen this?

Thanks, if the solution works, it will save some redundant work, but I have to say:

Technically, it is a bug, since within regular PHP coding there is absolutely no need to enclose a table_name in single quotes. In fact, I know of an instance where it needs to be done, whether it me MS SQL, Oracle or PostGres. I am a six - seven-month newbie to Studio MX, but not to PHP development by a longshot, so I would definitely consider this a DreamWeaver bug. MacroMedia Gods, here me :-P

Additionally, I have not tried your fix, but am curious of the result.

how is this a dreamweaver bug? lol

you write the code, php does it, mysql holds the data php uses, simple

dreamweaver is just a program we use to write the code. try the same code in notepad or any other editor, its the languages limitations.

a dreamweaver bug is if something in the GUI glitches, or if it doesn\'t display your code as it should is design view, or vice versa...the possibilities go on

Let me be specific:

$table_name = \"my_table\";

$sql = \"select * from $table_name\";

$res = mysql_query($sql);

This WORKS all day long in averyday PHP.

in DreamWeaver\'s Recordset function, if you edit the code manually to reflect the same thing, it errors and says that $table_name does not exist.(We are not looking for $table_name, we are looking for the value of $table_name, that being \"my_table\") In other words, it views the $ as a regular character rather than understanding that it is a variable. Is that more clear? Sorry if I was not as specific in my first example.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.