SQL Query

Glenn

Hello,

I am new to PHP and MYSql so this may seem like a very easy question. I\'m attempting to do a query. When I use the following code the query returns no results:

$LastName = \"MILL%\";

mysql_select_db($database_UFAMySql, $UFAMySql);

$SqlString = printf (\"SELECT * FROM u01_caspenrl WHERE CENLAST LIKE \'%s\'\",$LastName);

$Recordset1 = mysql_query($SqlString, $UFAMySql) or die(mysql_error());

However, if I change the variable $SqlString to this, I get all the matching records.

$SqlString = \"SELECT * FROM u01_caspenrl WHERE CENLAST LIKE \'MILL%\'\";

What am I missing?

Thanks

Hmm, it appears that you are looking for last names like Mill%s:

[php:1:07a6c03d8c]<?php

$LastName = \"MILL%\";

mysql_select_db($database_UFAMySql, $UFAMySql);

$SqlString = printf (\"SELECT * FROM u01_caspenrl WHERE CENLAST LIKE \'%s\'\",$LastName);

$Recordset1 = mysql_query($SqlString, $UFAMySql) or die(mysql_error());

?>[/php:1:07a6c03d8c]

Your SqlString syntax is slightly off:

[php:1:07a6c03d8c]

[/php:1:07a6c03d8c]

The $lastname variable isn\'t even inside the command, and I have never seen anyone use the printf function that way before :) Also, I personally wouldn\'t have the \'%\' set in a variable. Look below. Try this instead:

[php:1:07a6c03d8c]

$SqlString=\"SELECT * FROM u01_caspenrl WHERE CENLAST LIKE \'$LastName%s\'\";

[/php:1:07a6c03d8c]

In the case that you just want all names that begin with \'MILL\' as you have displayed in the code that works as you say, simply omit the \'S\' after the % in my query.

That will do what I think it is you want... Mill___s. Reply again if that doesn\'t help, I\'ll be more than happy to try again :)

Thanks for the help. I ended up using the method you suggested. As far as using printf to build the string, that was the method suggested by the TUTORIAL!!! I simplified the query to post on line. The original query was looking for a social security number and the last name and looked like this:

$SqlString = printf(\"SELECT * FROM u01_caspenrl WHERE CENMSSN = \'%s\' AND CENLAST LIKE \'%s\'\",$Social,$LastName);

When I displayed it on the screen it looked correct but wouldn\'t work. Any way thanks for the help.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.