Will PHP Framework make my life easy?

bigN

Hi,

I am little bit confused after discovering PHP frameworks.. I would like to classify myself as a beginner PHP coder with few projects under my shoulders. I am just starting using OOP in PHP because none of my project required something sophisticated. I would say that 99% of my projects will be relatively simple CMS or Web Store (nothing which can not be done by Joomla or OsCommerce packages). Currently I have a project for a car hiring system which i would like to build with OOP. So my questions are:) :

1)  Will PHP Framework make my life easy?

2)  Which IDE is best for PHP coding.... I am using Dreamweaver for visual design and NetBeans for coding

1)  Will PHP Framework make my life easy?

no but it should make it easier

2)  Which IDE is best for PHP coding.... I am using Dreamweaver for visual design and NetBeans for coding

Using Dreamweaver for visual design is a really bad idea. I am not a fan of java based ides but if I were going to use one it would be Netbeans or Eclipse.

So..... when should I use an Framework?.....

I think that for small projects (forums, multilingual website, forums etc)  it is much more easier to setup and use packed software (joomla os comerse etc). Am I correct?

As being amateur freelancer I dont think that big clients (such as e-banking) will ever assign me a job. May I assume that Framework will be useful as ground reference in very large and custom projects which will evolve a group of programmers? 

About the Dreamweaver I need to point out that as being a Visual person I like to see that I am designing and I haven't found (at least yet) this feature on another IDE. On the other hand it is very quick and efficient to write code in Neatbeans:)..... It would be nice to have these two features in one IDE

Would be interested to hear your opinion:)

would it be more ysier to  I am not a professional web designer but I feel that 

bigN, as you mentioned its a matter of using the right tool for the right project.  There are times where you have to write things from scratch and times when using an existing application would better suit.

If you plan to continue coding PHP I would suggest learning some Frameworks.  Try a few out and see what you like.  There are many of us who use different frameworks for different jobs.  I lean more towards the frameworks that are structured more like a library instead of those that abstract everything.  I like to keep as close to pure PHP as possible and if I have to learn some abstracted system that is only for one framework/app I'd prefer to tackle it with something else I can learn that will be beneficial.

So my answer about the Framework is, yes they can make your life much easier.  Take some time to try a few out and see if you like any.  Also, keep up with the apps you are using that work for you.

Regarding IDE's.  Everyone has an opinion and which one you use can depend on what you're doing or using as well.  For PHP I've found Netbeans to be good as is Eclipse and Zend Studio for Eclipse.  I have had some reliability issues with ZS for Eclipse though but others have had great success with it.  It is a commercial IDE though.

Thanks for so extended response:)

So the next question would be...... Since every framework claims that by using it you can create every kind of application..... could you pls give some examples for which application it is better to use frameworks?

in another words..... which framework it is better suited for which kind of app?

Thank you gyes,

I am convineced now that FW is a future for RAD PHP apps. I have small project (car rental app) which I will try to make with FW (which FW I havent desided yet). I saw similar extension for joomla but as a freelancer I would like to make it by my own...... So I would like to know (from your experience) which FW is better for small app with shallow learning curve. thanks:) 

• 2 weeks later...

Again, this really depends. There are people who really like CakePHP and indeed, there are some very nice things about it. First and foremost, the ability to "bake" scaffolding. In addition, there are good, solid User and Access Control libraries already written for Cake. On the other hand, Cake, like Rails, is all about convention over code. As such it can be intensely frustrating at times to have to follow their stupid conventions and Cake in particular has massive code bloat.

Zend is the Polar opposite of Cake. While Cake has lots of mandatory things, Zend is simply a bunch of libraries which can be included as needed. On the other hand, Zend is a lot less cohesive and (IMO) tends to lead to applications with too much coupling if you are not careful in your design*.

Finally, CodeIgniter, my personal favorite for most projects. CI implements a strong MVC engine, although it is still very flexible. In addition, it implements a light weight version of smarty and is not too intrusive. My biggest complaint is that there is not a really good ACL/Authorization class for CI, although ReduxAuth and ZendACL are often used. Finally, many Zend libraries can easily be used with CI if needed.

~ Christopher

* Obviously, this isn't the point of Zend, but I frequently see code where like 30 zend classes are included in every file, which kind of defeats the purpose.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks .... will try it, ;)

Regarding this subject .... I would like to state the following.....

I am still Not convinced that Framework will make my life easier..... I am overwhelmed by Wordpress which already make me to earn some money and to satisfy my client needs...

Of course WP is not Framework but it is highly customisible and even can be used as CMS .... (not sure about e-commerce).

So my question is ...... are there any Frameworks which can make me to develop a website with speed and clearness of WP in order to take me to higher step of programming?

Another question (for gurus) do you always use Framework for very simple site (blog or company sites with simple backend)... or use some premade CMS?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.