is this legal?

teng84

Well, considering people own the copyright to materials automatically, you would in essence be violating that copyright unless the author says he/she gives  it and releases the content.  That's how I would think it works anyway.

Would it be ok for me to borrow a couple of pages out of someone elses book for my book as long as I say that I got it from the other book?  Of course not.  Not unless I had permission.

Well, considering people own the copyright to materials automatically, you would in essence be violating that copyright unless the author says he/she gives  it and releases the content.  That's how I would think it works anyway.

Would it be ok for me to borrow a couple of pages out of someone elses book for my book as long as I say that I got it from the other book?  Of course not.  Not unless I had permission.

but i will put the link where i got that content? does that still illegal?

You're missing the point, Teng.. if you don't get persmission first, it is copyright infringement. Simple as that. Whether you declare where it came from is irrelevant. If I were you, I'd ask permission from the sources first before hand.

You're missing the point, Teng.. if you don't get persmission first, it is copyright infringement. Simple as that. Whether you declare where it came from is irrelevant. If I were you, I'd ask permission from the sources first before hand.

I see this is also my thought about this just wanna be sure about this before putting up my website.

so i should read the terms and condition and if it doesn't have that issue i can use the content? hehe?

so i should read the terms and condition and if it doesn't have that issue i can use the content? hehe?

Sorry.. no matter how badly you want it to be legal, those copyright laws are there. Some sites go through greater lengths than others to warn against copyright infringment. But the bottom line is truly about using someone else's material without asking, which is a no-no.

Sorry.. no matter how badly you want it to be legal, those copyright laws are there. Some sites go through greater lengths than others to warn against copyright infringment. But the bottom line is truly about using someone else's material without asking, which is a no-no.

any other  advice

Basically, copyright hinges on the question of ownership of an original work. An original work can take various forms: text, image, audio recording, video recording, computer software, website, etc. Copyright is immediately effective upon the creation of an original work. The creator of an original work does not have to register his/her copyright in the work before it is protected. Copyright automatically belongs to the author or creator - but it may also be assigned to a third party, for example a publishing business. The copyright owner has the exclusive right to prevent any third party from doing any of the following without permission:

* copy the work - which includes photocopying, scanning in texts or images and reproducing them in electronic format, and duplicating audio and video recordings;

* communicate copies of the work to the public - which includes, for example, making a copy available on a public website or intranet;

* perform a drama or play, a piece of music or a song before the public - which includes making recordings of such performances and uploading them to a public website or intranet;

* make an adaptation of the work - also known as creating a derivative work.

Copyright in a work lasts for 70 years after the death of the creator - 50 years in the case of audio and video recordings, audio and video broadcasts, and computer-generated works. Unless a work is clearly stated to be copyright-free or out of copyright by virtue of its age, it is illegal to download, scan or otherwise copy the said work for onward dissemination, even if no financial gain takes place.

• 2 weeks later...

It also depends on the type of site. I know from experience. I run a tv show news,rumor,promo pic site etc. And we all feed off one another. As long as we link back to the original content provider we're all happy.

But that varies based on the site. Also the website you will be using the content from would benefit from your site linking to theirs, and them not linking to yours. So I would imagine they would be ok with it.

Okay let's move beyond technicalities and into reality:

a) Unless the site specifically says 'Do not link our stuff, repost our content, etc.. blahblahblah' it is more than likely they don't care

b) Unless you are somehow making money off whatever content they have on their site, more than likely, they don't care.

c) Unless you are somehow trying to pawn their stuff off as yours, more than likely, they don't care.

d) Unless the benefits far outweigh the cost of pursuing you, more than likely, they don't care.

Yes, they have copyright.  Yes, they can enforce it.  But the reality is that unless you are blatantly trying to deface them, profit off them, or otherwise take money from their pockets, it's bad business to go around enforcing that kind of stuff, just because you can.  That's why you don't see, for instance, companies going after fanboy sites.  All they'd be doing is shooting themselves in the foot.

Just to set things straight, on PHP Freaks you are NOT allowed to copy our tutorials/blog posts without the explicit permission from an administrator AND the original author. It wouldn't be very difficult to get that permission, but without it we consider it copyright infringement. All it would require to get my permission would be accreditation to the author and a visible link to the original posting. E.g. something along the lines of "This tutorial was originally written by John Doe at PHP Freaks. Link to original tutorial: <url>" at the start of the tutorial would be fine (still need permission though). I'm sure most other sites would want the same thing, but if you're in doubt then you better ask before acting.

Edit: I suppose we could consider publishing it under this license.

a) Unless the site specifically says 'Do not link our stuff, repost our content, etc.. blahblahblah' it is more than likely they don't care

I guess it would depend on the type of site, but in most cases, I would like to think that a site wouldn't need to say that.

• 2 weeks later...

everythings legal if your rich!

but seriously, who cares...have a contact form so authors can ask you to remove their content. itll only become an issue if your website becomes big enough for ppl to complain

95% of the shit ppl worry about neva comes true....so why worry about shit

everythings legal if your rich!

but seriously, who cares...have a contact form so authors can ask you to remove their content. itll only become an issue if your website becomes big enough for ppl to complain

95% of the shit ppl worry about neva comes true....so why worry about shit

So DUI is okay until you hit someone and kill them?

So DUI is okay until you hit someone and kill them?

Thats for idiots! Rich ppl wouldnt be stupid enough to do that - except paris

I have a couple of rich friends and they do/have done stuff that would have commoners behind bars

Being rich == Freedom

That depends on where you live. In Denmark you cannot bail out of prison no matter how much money you have.

Well, you can't in the USA, either.  Trick is to use your money to keep from going to prison in the first place.  Or if it looks like prison time is inevitable, use your money to make the sentence as short and sweet as possible. 

Dunno how your system works, but your money won't keep you out of a Danish prison.

Just to give you an example, in Australia where i am, a pedophile raped over 30+ kids over 5 years and he got 14 years with      parole after 11years. Ivan millat a serial killer, killed 40 ppl and got 20 years.

Australia dosnt have too many bad crimes.......cause we dont have guns! 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.