Battlewall.com Online Gaming Community Critique

A2xA

Here is my take on things:

- I do like the overall look and feel.. nice and clean.. so in that sense, all's good. (I also like the name).

- I do not like the font style for the battlewall in your header however. I think I would make a nicer image with a cooler font. Perhaps browse dafont.com and see something edgier and cooler looking that you could use (you can even type your url in as a preview to help guage how it will look like in different styles).

- Your site doesn't validate.

- There is no search submit button (only the magnifying glass icon). At the very least, perhaps making that icon the submit button? And on the left hand side, we have the 'You are here:' text.. but nothing after it..is there supposed to be some breadcrumb navigation or something?

Overall, a nice look to it (I like sites that keep it clean and simple).

Well, this is subjective.. I am glancing over the dafont site...

along the top, there are categoties.. within the first one (Fancy), there is a sub section called 'Destroy'. This style is what I initially lean towards, just due to the name battlewall, I think of violent or war torn themes..

Within that secion, some that could be tested include:

28 Days Later,

A bite,

Defused (I really like that one),

Soul Mission ,

215000Euro,

Revolution,

Keetano Katana

Again, these are just my opinion..it really is highly subjective.. I would urge you to play around with other font categories (but stick to a font theme that fits what your site is about). Experiment..try out different options and see which ones catch your eye the most.

-After you sign up it says...

* Login denied! Your account has either been blocked or you have not activated it yet. Did you not get an activation e-mail and follow the validation link?

Activation Complete!

Your Account has been successfully activated. You can now log in using the username and password you chose during the registration.

-Hard to navigate around.  For example, after I activate my account there's no link to sign in.

-What is the whole site about?  I mean there's no description or instructions on what to do.

-I like the layout it's simple, nice, and clean but I think it still needs to be a little more 'war-like', like nrg_alpha said.

• 5 weeks later...

Overall,  I like it. I'm not a huge fan of the current-menu-item layout, but I love the other menu items. The green/shadow mix on the top just make it look blurry in my opinion. Well, it may just be the header in general. I love the idea behind it, and how it's put together... it's just not as crisp as I think it ought to be. But it's your site, not mine :-P

The 'You are here:' tells me I'm nowhere (nothing after it). The search box in the top right corner is a bit hard to notice and looks like a button more than it does a text field. Maybe try lightening it up a bit to help it to catch visitors' attention.

Another thing I noticed was that the site was lacking on the integration side of things. Home, Groups, Search, and Register all use the same style of content - white rounded squares with shadowing effects. The forum is completely boxy and lacking of images almost entirely. The Community section is boxy as well, but incorporates inner-shadows, borders, and gradients. Any of the three styles would work great if you stuck to one style, but having different styles on each page make it look like you threw it together and didn't take the time to make it look professional.

Also, 3 of the 4 footer links don't work, and the 4th is full of Joomla news - your community probably wants to see the community news - not Joomla's.

Other than that, I love the direction the site is headed in. It'll take a bit of work, but I'm sure it'll look amazing once you're finished. I wish you the best of luck!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.