phpMyAdmin using PASSWORD function

ITStudent

I created a login in page that compares the entered password to the password stored in the MYSQL database. The password stored in the database is encrypted using the PASSWORD function, so I encrypt the entered password with the PASSWORD function and compare with that in the database. Everything works fine on my own server, which I used to test the scripts. However, on hosting company it will not work. The problem is with the PASSWORD function.

I use mysql ver 5.0.15-nt with phpMyAdmin 2.6.4-pl3
Hosting company uses mysql ver 4.1.19-standard with phpMyAdmin 2.8.0.2

Anyone any ideas what could be wrong? (It works if I don't encrypt the password)

Thanks.

MD5() or SHA1() are fine hashing algorithms.

As fenway alluded to, you're not supposed to use the MySQL PASSWORD() function for your own schemes, just inputting actual MySQL access passwords.  I think they changed its underlying scheme at some point, perhaps between the differing versions you and your ISP have, and that's pretty much [i]why[/i] you're not supposed to use it.  They reserve the right to change it at any time.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.