I must be too damn old to install PHP!

My system: WinXP Pro SP2 with IIS 5.1 (the default that comes with XP Pro + the patches from M$). Php 4.4.2 (downloaded as the ZIP file from PHP.NET)

I had a previously "failed" install of 4.4.1 CGI version on this same machine, but Removed it using Add/Remove Programs, then rebooted before trying to follow the Manual Installation instructions in the ZIP download. After reading these instructions more than 3 times, I decided to try the ISAPI method, and step-by-step followed the instructions from the Install.txt file. I unzipped the file to C:\, and then renamed the directory from C:\PHP-4.4.2-Win32 to c:\php.

I copied all the files from the c:\php\dlls and c:\php\sapi directories to the c:\php directory as instructed by the Install.txt file. I then went to IISAdmin and followed the instructions to setup the ISAPI Filter and the executables. This may be where the train left the tracks --- The old entried from the cgi version were still in IISAdmin, so I edited them to reflect what the Install.txt said should be there. I had to change the Executables from php.exe to php4isapi.dll. So, as far as I can tell, there are now no pointers to the php.exe file within IISAdmin.

When I go to c:\php\cli and type PHP -version  it reports version4.4.2. When I type php - i > c:\inetpub\wwwroot\phpinfo.htm, it creates this htm file and then when I load it into IE 6 all i get is a page of the phpinfo command, rather than the nice html page that my former partly failed installation used to generate.

I did not used to consider myself technologically challenged - Heck - I anesthetized some very sick humans for more than 25 years with less trouble than this! Can someone please help straighten me out on this installation? I would prefer not to have to download and learn Apache (so I guess the install for dummies routine mentioned at the top of this forum is out for me). As you can see, just coping with an already working IIS and adding php has proven too much for me!

Thanks for your patience and help!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.