GoogleBots, MSNBots, Bots in general.

Hardbyte

Hi, and sorry for possibly posting in the wrong section.

Just wondering, do these spider bot things still trigger links within the page code even if I got a script to hide all links (or the whole page) if its equal to a bot? What Im trying to ask is, do they still spider through the code like a text file or do they work as if they were visiting like using a normal browser?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi and thanks for your reply.

On another note: If I were to allow Mozilla as an agent, then the bots could still get thru. For example:

[code]MOZILLA/5.0 (COMPATIBLE; YAHOO! SLURP; HTTP://HELP.YAHOO.COM/HELP/US/YSEARCH/SLURP) has visited ....
MOZILLA/5.0 (COMPATIBLE; GOOGLEBOT/2.1; +HTTP://WWW.GOOGLE.COM/BOT.HTML) has visited ....[/code]

so just search for Yahoo & Google to block for example?

Thanks

If your looking to block crawlers take a look at this: http://webtools.live2support.com/se_robots.php

You can place a text file in the directories and if there are rules, the bots are designed to follow the rules in the file before crawling your site.

Thank you for the replies.

I agree with Crayon as Iv already got meta tags (no follow etc..) and robots.txt within the site which they are not following these "rules".

I dont mind them visiting the site, but they are triggering my "Report a comment" link and Im receiving [size=8pt]<backwards>[/size]tihs[size=8pt]</backwards>[/size] loads of emails.

My script seems to be working, its blocking the bots which I have in an array and those bots visiting which are not in the array - it emails me to inform me of the agent. (obviously allowing IE/Firefox and such common browsers.) Im just having to currently find out which are the bad bots  ???

Thanks again.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.