When to use the 'null' option

Rogue3

I have a field in my form (varchar(80)) that I don't always enter information for. It's an "additional keyword" field used to put additional keywords for my search form. Right now I have it to where it is just blank, but should I have it set to 'null' if there is no info there? Will this affect the search one way or the other?

it won't affect the search, really, but it may help in your queries to have it NULL as opposed to an empty string. they [b]are not[/b] the same thing. an empty string still has memory allocated to store it, while a NULL is a truly empty value. setting your table to default NULL is usually a good idea.

Having NULL-able fields make a big difference... use it only when you actually care about knowing that values where unspecified vs. blank.  Otherwise, it makes querying, indexing, joining, etc. more complicated.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.