!DocType Problem

dafallenangel

I am creating a Floating bar (where when you scroll down a page the bar will stay with the page)

and well it works great in IE but in firefox my html tables are offset and stuff and narrowed it down the problem..

its caused by

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

because if i take that out it will set the html tables back to its normal self but then in IE the bar won't float down the page like it should..

now Facebook has a bar just like this so i looked to see what Doctype they were using just to see if it was different because Firefox works great in there but  they were the same

so im clueless on what is going on can someone help me please.

Thank you

dafallenangel

I am creating a Floating bar (where when you scroll down a page the bar will stay with the page)

and well it works great in IE but in firefox my html tables are offset and stuff and narrowed it down the problem..

its caused by

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

because if i take that out it will set the html tables back to its normal self but then in IE the bar won't float down the page like it should..

now Facebook has a bar just like this so i looked to see what Doctype they were using just to see if it was different because Firefox works great in there but  they were the same

so im clueless on what is going on can someone help me please.

Thank you

dafallenangel

Try running the code through a validator.  I would bet that your html is not valid for the doctype that you specified.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.