$_GET question

mastubbs

Hi all,

Sorry im very new to php so there is prob a very easy answer to this. I am using the code

<?php if(file_exists($_GET['id'])){
  require($_GET['id']);
}else{
  echo 'ERROR!! Please contact admin.';
}   ?>

to load html pages into a php page (eg test.com/index.php?id=page1.html).

This all works fine but im trying to make it so that the address is test.com/index.php?id=page1 (ie no .html). I also want to make it so that these html files cannot be accessed unless as includes on the php page.

I hear this can be done by saving the html pages as .inc pages but i tried this and i can still access these pages if i type them into browser (eg test.com/page1.inc). Also, i still have to type test.com/index.php?id=page1.inc to get the page, test.com/index.php?id=page1 gives me error. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

If you save your pages as php files you can then place the following code at the top of each page.

<?php if (!defined("INCLUDED")) { die();} ?>

This along with the following.....

<?php

define("INCLUDED", TRUE);  
if (file_exists($_GET['id'] . '.php')) {
  require($_GET['id'] . ".php");
} else {
}

?>

Ought achieve what you want. I would be inclined however to also create an array of valid pages and run a check against this array to make sure the requested page is actually valid. eg;

<?php

$valid = array('foo','bar','bob');
define("INCLUDED", TRUE);  
if (file_exists($_GET['id'] . '.php') && in_array($_GET['id']), $valid) {
  require($_GET['id'] . ".php");
} else {
}

?>

I would be inclined however to also create an array of valid pages and run a check against this array to make sure the requested page is actually valid.

This is probably a good idea, however, if you want you index script to be more powerful (i.e. load pages out of a directory without knowing every possible page in advance), then you should at the very least include some sanitation to make sure that somebody doesn't include a path, that is to say '../../secretfilenotinthewebroot'

~ Christopher

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.