MarkSwingle.com - Please Critique

blufish

It doesn't appear as though you've made much effort to do anything.  I don't like the colors and the layout is very boring. What exactly is the site for?  Why would somebody want to print it?  I honestly feel that you must make an effort to learn some type of image manipulation program to get some form of graphics on the page.

I have to agree with everything jcombs_31 said.

The content is poorly written. Do you have the right to host those games on your website? I'm not aware of how the author's released them but I should imagine you'd have to link to the games' site rather than host them yourself? At the very least provide a link to the site underneath...

Hmmm I don't find celebrity homes particularly funny?

A

I know how to use Paint Shop Pro, but the site is meant to have a simple design, no images.  And yes, I can host all of the games on my site.  The site is my personal site, but it has mostly humorous stuff on it.

I have made an effort on this site, many many hours, did you just look at the homepage?

I will try to make the pages written better.

Simple and to the point. However, the banner is too simple and takes up too much space. Consider adding more text to the banner, maybe some text in italics, some in other fonts, something to fill in the banner.

Maybe add some more content to the home page to entice the user to visit the other pages. Example for the Humor link ..."Did you hear the one about the chicken and the crow that went fishing"...Do the same for the Games link sort of like ..."Was Leif really lucky on his voyage??? This game has the answer..."

Probably nix the About Me link on the home page since you have a page devoted to yourself already.

Games page: Consider adding a caption for the games so the user knows the title of the game.

Humor/catz:Nice collection of catz! Maybe turn the images into a gallery so the user isn't scrolling down.

I have made an effort on this site, many many hours, did you just look at the homepage?

Oh boy...  What's the difference between the homepage and the other pages, different content?

-The color scheme is awful.

-There is no point to the site.

-A personal site with ads?

-What are we suppose to critique there's not much there...

Sorry, but I don't like it at all.

Personal sites can have advertisements.

I changed the color scheme.

My site has a point: Me, but mostly I put Humor on it.

You can critique a lot of stuff, because I have quite a few pages.

I'll add something like "MarkSwingle.com" to the top of my banner and add more to the homepage, thanks.

Still don't like the color scheme.

Lots of pages... not really, and besides they all look the same.

My site has a point: Me, but mostly I put Humor on it.

Hmm...  The point of this site is more like you learning how to build/design a website, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Like everyone said, it's boring.  There's no graphics and it's got a dull poop-brown theme to it now.

My opinions...

* The design is aweful, redesign or use a template.

* I wouldn't openly put standard digg image on my site, because when none / one person diggs it, its going to look embarrassing.

* The ad / content ratio is way off, too many ads for too little content.

* On the jokes page, I don't think it is necessary to have the "new" and date instructions, it looks out of place.

ILMV

Hey, you asked us to critique your website and people have done just that.  Critiquing means more than just a few words, it provides an avenue on how to improve the site.  If you are not willing to take in all of the comments then you shouldn't really ask us to critique your web site. :(

If you are looking for praise on a basic web site you have come to the wrong place. 

The new OM?

Get rid of the green! It is awful!

Chris

Hahaha!  The om thread was the best.  I think it's the resurrection, another 100 post thread!

Listen, you can't ever top that thread.  It's impossible.  That thread made it to the "Most Active Thread" thing.  It's #1.  Check out the stats at the bottom of the forum, lol.

om will live on forever in our memories.  And our burnt retinas.

Amen.

Okay, I added 10px of padding around the google ads, if I add color, it might be too distracting and people who don't like the color won't like my site.

I don't like your current color though.  You could argue that about any color scheme.  Your page just seems so...misplaced?  It's all blocky and gray.  Not very interesting. =/

I actually think the colors are a lot better, keep it simple.

But your site doesn't have much to offer, what do you want use to critique?

Looks like a table with a little CSS added for style.  It's all plain text, black and white looking...

Hey Mark,

If you are open to it, you should take a few choice games and add a section to your main page to 'advertise' them.  Most people that view a website see the front page - if they don't see something they like within something like 30 seconds - they are gone.  They clicked away to another page.  Your intention here is to advertise yourself and the games you have created.  Well, put some of those game links on the front page!  Add a link below your few choice selections so that they can get to the rest of them :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.