WIP

jcombs_31

I started coding my personal site.  I using percents rather than pixels to make it fluid.  I know there are a couple bugs already, but wanted some feedback on it's current direction.  So far it's only the index page and contact page with no real functionality.  I'm currently coding an ajax photo gallery.  The random image on the main page uses a little ajax to cycle through pics in a directory.  I just used a few sample pics and threw them in a folder for now. 

edit:  the link helps

http://www.jcombs.net/~jeff/jcombs3/

It may not be that fast on my home box.  Also, I really hate this forum software, can we please switch back!!!

Hey,
I like the design that you have, very clean and professional looking.

I also like how you have your contact page set up.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the site when you get it done.

Why don't you try and make the whole site in ajax?

-Chris

Thanks for the quick reply.  As far as AJAX, I'm think everything has its place.  Ajax is great for SOME things.  I don't see the point in using it everywhere. When I go to a new page, I expect a new page to load.  Besides, I've really just started scratching the surface.  I've never really done anything with javascript so I'm learning as I go.

Ya - AJAX has its place.
Anyways - a few points jeff.

Im using IE6 on win2k.
The javascript you are using for them photos - the fade puts my cpu to 100% usage.
The Recent work divs. Well with 1280X1024 they are really wide, and the <- (arrow) you have is way way over on its own on the right.
The Resume is good. The 2 large images on the left are a bit big.
As with all your images, I think you should make them links to large original versions.
The resume page would be nice with thumbnail graphics of your work. Perhaps an ajax mouse over to bring up a larger picture.

The contact page is nice. I think you need more % padding on the left to bring the contact box closer to the middle of the screen at high resolutions.

In my IE6 - when the width of the browser goes less than 900 px in width all the content goes down underneath the Right divs.
This happens on the contact page, Resume and Home pages.

Fixed with sites are soo simple in comparison!!

Anyways - good luck with it. Looks nice overall.
-steve

[quote author=steviewdr link=topic=99796.msg394065#msg394065 date=1152466884]
Ya - AJAX has its place.
Anyways - a few points jeff.

Im using IE6 on win2k.
The javascript you are using for them photos - the fade puts my cpu to 100% usage.
The Recent work divs. Well with 1280X1024 they are really wide, and the <- (arrow) you have is way way over on its own on the right.
The Resume is good. The 2 large images on the left are a bit big.
As with all your images, I think you should make them links to large original versions.
The resume page would be nice with thumbnail graphics of your work. Perhaps an ajax mouse over to bring up a larger picture.

The contact page is nice. I think you need more % padding on the left to bring the contact box closer to the middle of the screen at high resolutions.

In my IE6 - when the width of the browser goes less than 900 px in width all the content goes down underneath the Right divs.
This happens on the contact page, Resume and Home pages.

Fixed with sites are soo simple in comparison!!

Anyways - good luck with it. Looks nice overall.
-steve
[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback.  I don't know why the fade puts you at 100% CPU usage, I'm lookin here at work and I did jump to about 27%, but no higher.  What kind of PC are you on?  I'll have to look into, I grabbed the fade code online.

I know what you mean about the recent work section, but it didn't look right when it didn't stretch the page, not sure, I'll have to think about it.  The large images on the left?  I'm assuming your mean the two diploma pics on the right?  I just threw them up there real quick, not sure if they will stay.  I thought about the thumbnails on the resume page, but I don't want it to get too crowded, but another thing to consider.

The contact page does look stretched with high resolution, but moving it more to the center makes it look funny because it is no longer aligned with anything.  I guess with the lack of content it is hard to pull off a full screen fluid layout.  Really needs to have three columns to fill out, but it looks pretty good on lower resolution.  I'll have to think about it for a bit.  For the time being I guess I'll just start working on my photo gallery and decide on any major change later.

IE is acting strange, the content moves at different resolutions when I change my browser size, I don't see where the problem is, but I haven't looked that hard yet.  I'm assuming it's some padding somewhere placing games with the %s.

Re: 100% cpu fade issue.
I tested it on another pc and same issue RE 100% usage with IE.

My Machine: AMD 3000+ 1gb RAM, Win2k, IE6
2nd Test Machine: 2.4gh Xeon, 512 RAM, Win xp, sp1, IE6

..so I definately think its your code.
To test this correctly - make sure your Browser Window is active, i.e. Task Manager is minimised to the task bar. The little graph should show up beside the clock. Spikes of 100% cpu usage occur with change of photo.

RE. Recent Work -> I wouldn't have this stretch to 100% width. Fixed would nearly do it.

RE. Diploma Images -> I see also that they get bigger according to Browser size! Its just that I normally view at 1280 X 1024 and them images are quite large at that size.
As you said -> your side looks really nice at 1024X768. Its at the larger sizes that the content seperates from the right div.

RE. the contact page -> I would have the input fields stretch with the % width of the browser. It wouldn;t be much more useful, but it would help spread the colour and take up the whitespace.

Yap - IE doesnt like resizing your website. Id say that would be a PITA to get working. I think you should rethink the code for the right div, and how it works.

Rgds,
Steve

The site looks fantastic... I like the opaque part on the contact page and it probably wouldn't hurt to throw that effect around on other parts of the site.

My only real bitch is that your "snapshots" of the 2 sites on the main page are kinda fuzzy... either sharpen them up or make them smaller.  You might be fine just showing the site's logs... instead of a full screenshot of the top of the page.

As a side note, who's the hottie with the kid?  ;)

ah yes, forgot I was in that group of pics.  Yea, I don't exactly fit the stereotype, especially if you knew my past.

as far as the site, I'm coding my image gallery and will make other layout decisions later as I go.  Thanks for everyone's feedback. 

I did see the CPU issue with the image fade, I'll have to re-think that part as well.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.