[SOLVED] Linux or Win

oceans

I have my pages written in PHP and mySql with folder/file read & write.

I have an option to take up a VPS server in Linux or in Windows 2003.

I do not know which to take.

In terms of stability, hackers & virus safe and value for money efficiency, please advice.

I know my Q is very open, but I do not know how to benchmark.

But if you say, hay that is good for you, I will stick to it.

Thanks.

PHP/MySQL both work on linux and Windows.  If you plan on using MSSQL though, unless you want to use FreeTDS with the MSSQL server on a different computer, you will need Windows.

As for viruses, linux essentially has no viruses.  Windows of course has viruses, but it's quite difficult to get a virus on a web server.  (Unless the security is like the worst security ever.)

Value for money efficiency?  Chances are, linux is either free or just a setup fee, and Windows is probably a little bit of money.

As for speed, I've heard that PHP used to be faster under linux, but now-a-days, I would imagine that the performance on Windows/linux would be fairly close.  It would really depend on the linux distro too, though.  Maybe a person more familiar with linux than I can answer better.

• 2 weeks later...

As for speed, I've heard that PHP used to be faster under linux, but now-a-days, I would imagine that the performance on Windows/linux would be fairly close.  It would really depend on the linux distro too, though.  Maybe a person more familiar with linux than I can answer better.

The only reason I can see PHP running faster in any Linux distro is because it's a very slim install and hardware is overkill. Otherwise, I'd agree with you, the difference should be fairly marginal.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.