What do you edit your PHP code with?

crimsonmoon

I use Frontpage at work. I know it's not the best but I've always liked it because I just use the code view to hard code the php. I like the built in FTP functionality.

Now I need something for home to code with.

I'm willing to buy something but if there is a free editor I'm all for that.

I like some I've seen where the PHP is actually color coded but so far they lack any good FTP functionality.

I tried PHP Designer 2006 Beta and it was nice but I the FTP functionality wasn't all that great.

So I thought why not ask all the PHP coders out there how you do it.

Let's see, on my Windows XP box I use (in the order of fequency):
[list]
[*]TopStyle Pro http://www.newsgator.com/NGOLProduct.aspx?ProdID=TopStyle
[*]vim
[*]wordpad
[*]notepad
[/list]

On Windows I use SmartFTP to do any FTPing.

On Unix/Linux, I use vi

On VMS I use edit (the EVE editor)

Ken

That is not legal tomfmason at all. Please do not discuss this here. We do not condome warez/file sharing here. The last three posts have been removed.

/* Back on topic */
I use a $30 app called [url=http://www.blumentals.net/rapidphp/]Rapid PHP 2006[/url]. It has alot of good features all designed towards PHP. You can edit alot of different other files too. Has built in syntax highlighting for a number of other langauges. Has a lot of other built in features too such as FTP etc. Its very good and worth the money.

though this topic is in the PHP Help section, it seems more suited in the Miscellaneous section so i'll move it there.

I use [url=http://www.vim.org/]Vim[/url]
it's unbelievably flexible...you can build almost ANYTHING into it and it's still lightening fast.
you can even use your local vim to edit a file directly on the remote server...which is quite different from SSH'ing into a remote machine and editing if you do that sort of thing...because this feels a lot faster since changes are commited when you save only.

honestly though, i don't think anything can beat vim's functionality. try it out...it might take a little getting used to but once you know how some of it works...well i'll just let you find out for yourself :)

Related topic: [url=http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,54859.0.html]Which PHP-Editor do you think is the best?[/url]

Here is a question then. I've been using Frontpage at work and I'm familiar with it and like the FTP engine.

I've never really used Frontpage as frontpage. I just hard code everything. But I've found with frontpage the text is all black.

I like how these php editors color code the text for you.

Frontpage does this for html/css etc but the second you save the file as .php it goes to crap.

There is a PHP Rocket add in for FP but it doesn't seem to work.

If I want this feature am I most likely going to leave FP?

Will Dreamweaver work ok?

Nusphere PHPEd (v4.5)

Superb editor, code hints, auto code completion, parse-as-u-type, code highlighting (for php, html, xml, css, javascript), debugger (breakpoints, watches, step etc) , ftp, instant manual access, db client interface to several different dbms, built-in server (type and run)

i use editpad lite.  really the only functionality i need is goto line, adjustable colours, and tabbed files.  a parser would be nice, but since i edit directly in my localhost, its merely a matter of visiting in my browser.  syntax highlighting might be nice, ill try the others.

for simplicity (and a marginal step above notepad), editpad lite is worth a download.

I think we all think what we use is the best because we get used to them, and work with them. I use PHP Expert Editor because it highlights code, shows standard function parameters and has a build in FTP so you can save and it will auto-upload.
I had a look at PHP Designer and ZEND but they seemed too bloated. All you should need in your editor is good format support and good highlighting, not multiple test systems.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.