html forms and php calling the variable?? *SOLVED*

just-j

ok i just got into PHP scripting and downloaded wamp server, which is mysql, php, and apache server  all in one nifty installation.  my problem is i make on file:

test1.html
<FORM ACTION="test2.php" method="post">
Type name here:
<input type="text" name="name">
<br>
<input type=submit value="Login"><br>
</FORM>

then other file
test2.php
<?
echo $name;
?>

and when i test it in the web browser it goes to the php page  but it just dosent echo anything..  ive been trying to figure this out for 2 days now...  HELP!!!!

You are probably using a book that assumes that the register_globals option is enabled. This was the default up until about 3 years ago when it was found that enabling register_globals can cause security problems. The default was changed to disabled and now to get the values from forms and URLs, you need to reference the appropriate superglobal array: $_POST for forms using the method="post" and $_GET for forms using method="get" and for variables on the URL. See http://www.php.net/register_globals

In your case you need to use:
[code]
<?php
echo $_POST['name'];
?>
[/code]

Ken

i tried the $_post and still cant figure it out..  still getting a blank page when it goes to the php page.  this is what i have in the .php page as of now.

[code]
<html>
<head>
<title>Untitled Document</title>
</head>

<body>
<?
echo $_POST['name'];
?>
</body>
</html>
[/code]

i even tried to set the post name to a var. and then echoing it and still nothing is output to the browser.

Yes, but then he would see the code and not just a blank page.

Change your test2.php page to:

[code]
<?PHP
echo 'Name: ', isSet($_POST['name']) ? $_POST['name'] : 'Not set' ;

?>
[/code]

Make sure the test2.php is in the same directory as your html form.

Create this in a separate file and run it to see what your php settings are and it will tell you if your server and PHP are setup right:

[code]
<?PHP
phpinfo();
?>
[/code]

[quote author=Kurt link=topic=99878.msg393612#msg393612 date=1152376227]
Maybe its echoing nothing because your host doesnt support php?
[/quote]
Read his/her post again carefully. You'll notice that it's a local installation.

[quote author=toplay link=topic=99878.msg393616#msg393616 date=1152376481]
[quote author=Kurt link=topic=99878.msg393612#msg393612 date=1152376227]
Maybe its echoing nothing because your host doesnt support php?
[/quote]
Read his/her post again carefully. You'll notice that it's a local installation.
[/quote]
D'oh, :P
Maybe there were problems with his download or something? Or like kenrbnsn said, it could be that the server doesn't allow short style tags.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.