Web, game, or software development?

Kurt

Which do you prefer?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Web Development
    • Game Development
    • Software Development

Depends on the mood I'm in.  I prefer web develoment mainly because of deployment issues.  Software development can be fun and interesting, but it's such a hassle to compile, deploy, and debug.

I've never done any game development, but I do enjoy the work produced by those who do it :)

• 1 month later...
i actually wish i'd went onto university to continue my programming, as I leaned C++ pretty well and enjoyed it loads. back when I had an Amiga, I had a program called AMOS Professional and Blitz Basic, which were versions of BASIC aimed at game developers (Worms was conceived on AMOS, I think Skidmarks (racing game) was made on Blitz, so definitely not "BASIC for wimps" lol). Unfortunately I got a job that consumed all my time, so pretty much gave up, and by the time I got back into it I was too rusty and didn't have as much time to re-learn. Shame, cos game programming is extremely fun.

but now, i'd say web development (PHP), but only cos it's about all I know these days.

• 3 weeks later...
I like crazy stuff and random stuff

I work with online software development, but it is boring... I liked to make a process killer.

Once I made a simple XML parser, that was fun. (yes, I know that php haves a built-in function, I was just playing)

I´d like to work with game programming...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Depends on what you mean by game development.  If you mean programming PC, Mac, or console games, then it's an [i]entirely[/i] different beast than any type of web based game.

I think that type of game development is the most challenging, fun, and rewarding; it's what I originally wanted to do.

But web programming pays more, is much less stressful, and as someone already pointed out, is a walk in the park in comparison.

I prefer web development. I don't think I would ever want to do "desktop software" development.  however developing software for the web is what I end up liking as far as software.

I am thinking of eventually going into video game development at some point, just depends on where my career takes me at some point.

Web development is tedious and irritating at times due to all  lots of different languages and all the web browser inconstancies.
Software development can be generic boring\repetitive
Game development is often more trouble then its worth as it requires artists\someone with a sound background and such to create anything decent.

I prefer solving problems\proofs of concepts and elegant solutions than the above list the details of the complete implementation bore me to death.

The line between application development and web development is beginning to blur.  At my job I use about 75% Java 25% PHP.  Our most recent Java project is being developed using the Nextapp Echo2 framework.  The framework allows you to effectively forget about the fact that you are operating across the HTTP protocol.  All of the client server interaction is handled via asynchronous XML requests.  Allows you to develop Java Swing like web applications.  Google offers a similar framework GWT (Google Web Tools) although I find it to be less aestetically pleasing out of the box.  If you get a chance check them out, I think they offer a glimpse into the future of web development.

Echo2: http://www.nextapp.com/platform/echo2/echo/

GWT: http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/

Best,

Patrick

Web based applications are the future of programming as far as business goes IMO.  They're easier to set up, maintain, and deploy than any server based program.

I think it will be a while before web based applications become the norm for home use though; there's still too many people who are paranoid about someone stealing their information.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.