Cookies or sessions?

Kurt

Which do you prefer?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Cookies
    • Sessions

Do you prefer to use cookies or sessions when storing data for things such as login systems? I prefer cookies because they are just easier to use. Some people say they don't like them because if you store sensitive information in them, people can edit it and etc. To get around this, I just store encrypted information in them. So discuss what you think is better and why.

I know, both can store information.
But other issue involved.  cookie is client's side while session is server side.
user had total control of cookie, and no control over session.

my point is, as a web developer, who would want to store data in a such a way that user/client can modify it however he wanted.

• 4 months later...
[quote author=dark dude link=topic=99899.msg401603#msg401603 date=1153564499]
Sessions, most users' browsers are set to block cookies anyway
[/quote]

I would say quite the opposite. The great majority of websites require cookies, so users are more likely to enable cookies. All the statistics I've seen seem to indicate that users with cookies disabled are few and far between.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote=hvle]How can you compare SESSION and cookie.  It's like comparing PHP and java script.  It's totally different thing.[/quote]

Nobody said anything about $_SESSION or session_*  ;)

You can't compare sessions and cookies. "Sessions" is a concept, cookies are something concrete.

I do prefer using a proper session management system instead of some randomly acessible cookies however.    ;)

• 1 month later...
I prefer sessions, because I cant get cookies to work properly,
btw
[quote author=Crayon Violent link=topic=99899.msg487648#msg487648 date=1166475987]
you should have added a "both" option on your poll.
[/quote]
if both option is available, then whats the point of this poll?
Ted

• 3 weeks later...