MySQL Query not Returning as a Resource

Hey all,

I'm having a little problem with PHP and its mysql commands, I've set up apache 2.2 with php 5, installed coldfusion on it, and datasource access worked fine. Then I went over to PHP, and I tried to recreate the exact same thing as is present in the CFML version... So far so good.

And then I get to a point where mysql_* commands beyond mysql_pconnect/connect get me a 'not a valid resource' error!

I've done some tinkering and it turns out that the mysql_* commands (with exception to the connect and pconnect functions) return a boolean rather then a resource!

[code]
$db = mysql_pconnect( $host, $user, $pass ) or die(mysql_error());
mysql_select_db( 'dbinventory', $db );

$q_INV = "SELECT * FROM tblMedia";

# Returns a boolean, but I want it to return a resource!
$rs_INV = mysql_query( $q_INV, $db );
$rs_INV_rows = mysql_num_rows( $rs_INV );
$rs_INV_cols = mysql_num_fields( $rs_INV );
[/code]

Simple no? But, as I tried our rs_INV with the is_resource and is_bool, it comes out boolean regardless of what I try.

Any suggestions?

[quote author=Daniel0 link=topic=99960.msg394006#msg394006 date=1152457437]
Try putting [code] or die(mysql_error())[/code] after the mysql_query so it becomes [code]$rs_INV = mysql_query( $q_INV, $db ) or die(mysql_error());[/code] and see if it returnss any error.
[/quote]

Thanks Daniel, silly that I didn't think of that sooner! But yea, cleared up the problem and I fixed it (user wasn't permitted to access remotely).

Thanks!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.