php and obc_connect issue

bplogan

Hello,

I am new to php and MSSQL.  I have php 5 running on a windows 2000 box.

I added a DSN to the SQL server database I am trying to connect to using admin tools and Data sources in control panel.

Now I'm not sure how to connect to the database via php.  I found the following code using odbc_connect

$dsn="issueTracker";

$username="";

$password="";

$sqlconnect=odbc_connect($dsn,$username,$password);

$sqlquery="SELECT * FROM status;";

$process=odbc_exec($sqlconnect, $sqlquery);

I am not entering anything for username and password as I setup the DSN using NT Authentication.

I did set mssql.secure_connection = on in the php.ini file.

I get the following error on the page:

Warning: odbc_connect() [function.odbc-connect]: SQL error: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]

Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON'., SQL state 28000 in SQLConnect

Any help would be awesome!

the webserver is running as an anonymous system account...it doesn't have the same access as the user that is logged in. you need to add a user using the MSSQL Management Studio and user that user/pass to login to the MSSQL server with PHP

the webserver is running as an anonymous system account...it doesn't have the same access as the user that is logged in. you need to add a user using the MSSQL Management Studio and user that user/pass to login to the MSSQL server with PHP

Thanks for the reply.  So I am going to create the user and pass on the MSSQL server.  Then should I change the NT Authentication in the php.ini file back to off?

um...not sure...i've never used that before

i will also say though...on the SQL server, under Properties -> Security, make sure the Server Authentication is set to "SQL Server and Windows Authentication mode". if it's not, then change it, and reboot the system

Hi,

I came across your post and wanted to include some extra information and resources that might help you a bit more. I saw in your code that you're using odbc_connect() do you have to do it this way? PHP4 & PHP5 have many built-in MSSQL functions similar to those of MySQL. I would check the link I've included below and focus on mssql_connect(), mssql_close(), etc.

PHP MSSQL Reference Link: http://us.php.net/manual/en/ref.mssql.php

Also, as mentioned by rhodesa, the MSSQL user should be created from within Management Studio (or have your hosting provider setup a login for you) and use that to connect to your database using SQL authentication.

I'm including a connect sample to help guide through the process:

<?php

$host='<dbservername>'; /* The host/ip of your MSSQL server */
$dbuser='<sqlusername>'; /* The SQL DB user you setup in Management Studio */
$dbpasswd='<sqlpassword>'; /* The password associated with the new SQL user */

$db = mssql_connect ($host,$dbusername,$dbpassword) or die("Error connecting to database");; // Attempt to connect to the db

?>

Hi,

I came across your post and wanted to include some extra information and resources that might help you a bit more. I saw in your code that you're using odbc_connect() do you have to do it this way? PHP4 & PHP5 have many built-in MSSQL functions similar to those of MySQL. I would check the link I've included below and focus on mssql_connect(), mssql_close(), etc.

PHP MSSQL Reference Link: http://us.php.net/manual/en/ref.mssql.php

Also, as mentioned by rhodesa, the MSSQL user should be created from within Management Studio (or have your hosting provider setup a login for you) and use that to connect to your database using SQL authentication.

I'm including a connect sample to help guide through the process:

<?php

$db = mssql_connect ($host,$dbusername,$dbpassword) or die("Error connecting to database");; // Attempt to connect to the db

?>

Hi there, thanks for reply, I tried what you suggested and get the following error:

Warning: mssql_connect() [function.mssql-connect]: message: Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON'

code:

<?php

$host='IASSQLDEV'; /* The host/ip of your MSSQL server */

$dbuser='user'; /* The SQL DB user you setup in Management Studio */

$dbpasswd='password'; /* The password associated with the new SQL user */

$db = mssql_connect ($host,$dbusername,$dbpassword) or die("Error connecting to database");; // Attempt to connect to

?>

did you get this working? in BMurtagh's post, the variables don't line up. it should be:

<?php

$db = mssql_connect ($host,$dbuser,$dbpasswd) or die("Error connecting to database");; // Attempt to connect to the db
?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.