Pear PDF and custom wrapper class issues

theinfamousmielie

Okay, yet another insurmountable one to tease your brains.

Before I start, you should know that I _COULD_ extend the entire class, but that would defeat my purpose of 'simplifying' for the novice developer. Anyway ... here goes.

As it stands i have a PDF controller which does its thing very well in acting as the middleman to PEAR's File_PDF class.

However, it is not acting as an 'extended' class, it is its own class. The core function: CreateDocument() does the following:

$this->PDFLink = &File_PDF::factory(array('orientation' => $Orientation, 'unit' => $this->Unit, 'format' => $this->PageSize), $this->ExtensionClass); 

okay so this is fine, and works well on every single thing except where i need to override a function as originally defined in PEAR's PDF class (File_PDF)

The two functions in particular? header() and footer() ...

Is there a way for me to extend in such a way as that i have the ability to 'redefine' the header() and footer() functions in a way similar to below:

//$PDF = new PDFController; // my 'middleman' pdf controller

class MyPDF extends PDFController {  // PDFController does not extend to anything but instead calls File_PDF::factory() within one of it's functions.

function header() {
        //overwrites PEAR function defined in File_PDF class
    }

}

$PDF = new MyPDF;
$PDF->CreateDocument();
$PDF->AddPage(); // adds a page with included styles etc from header() and footer() functions

Any ideas? I realise this could be impossible, but you never know, someone might know something i dont. :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.