[SOLVED] Format Linux install windows

9three

Hey guys I installed Ubuntu. Unfortunately I need some programs that only run under windows. The problem is that I deleted my partition for the recovery that my laptop brings.

I've been trying for nearly 5 hours to figure how to delete the linux partition and install windows again.

I can't install windows when I pop the CD in because it's not partitioned for windows.

So what I'm trying to do is format my HD completely and then install windows. I am unable to do that though. I don't know if there is a way to go into the command prompt from the boot screen and type in a command to delete the linux partitions?

I used openSUSE to remove the partitions but it wouldn't let me remove one, which I think it's whats stopping me from executing Windows. I also tried Ubuntu to do the same but I can't figure it out.

I need to fix this asap, as I might have to start a project tomorrow morning :-/

edit:

I understand if I can somehow reach the command prompt without booting to the desktop that i can use:

sudo mkfs /dev/sda

and it will delete evertyhing.

I cant do that while in the desktop because its in current use

First off, mkfs probably wouldn't help you unless it can do NTFS or FAT32 (ewwww FAT).

Second, the Windows XP and Vista installers can both erase/add partitions.  I've done it before.

Last resort could be a live CD that has NTFS formatting capabilities.

It doesn't work for me using my Windows XP cd. It says that there was an error and the process had to be stopped. It also says that I should check for viruses and check the fdisk to make sure everything is correct.

Non of those really match anything I have done. There is no virus because well, its a new OS with nothing else.

why would your computer not boot from a Windows CD?

your BIOS is set to boot from CD first, right?

Well, if all else fails....and you have a spare working computer with a CD burner on it.

I would download Hiren's Boot CD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb5zYMaCnm8

click the More Info button when you get there

I have seen issues before with a Windows install cd balking when there is a linux partition on the hard drive. The windows installer just stalled on me.

If you load up a LiveCD in linux etc. run:

cfdisk

and delete all the partitions.

(note, you are going to wipe everything and there aint no going back).

I managed to get around it by using another hard disk, so I dunno if cfdisk will work.

-steve

I have seen issues before with a Windows install cd balking when there is a linux partition on the hard drive. The windows installer just stalled on me.

cfdisk

I managed to get around it by using another hard disk, so I dunno if cfdisk will work.

-steve

Which LiveCD would you recommend? What commands would I have to input? cfdisk, what else? or is this a press [1] for partitioning [2] to view partitions on the HD, etc?

cfdisk

-steve

Which LiveCD would you recommend? What commands would I have to input? cfdisk, what else? or is this a press [1] for partitioning [2] to view partitions on the HD, etc?

I use the gparted live cd for things like this. Also, you could hide the linux partition and install windows(may have to edit boot.ini for windows). Then fix grub.

Any LiveCD. Ubuntu will do fine.

Open a Terminal.

type:

sudo cfdisk  (or just type cfdisk). Its press [1] etc. tool.

How about just put in another hard drive and test????

-steve

I'm running on a laptop and I don't have another HD around.

I downloaded GParted but I'm noticing that when it partitions, it doesn't delete the Linux directories. So I think that /dev/sda will always exist, and I think thats where the problem is.

How do you hide the linux partition?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.