sick of my works timekeeping system

ardyandkari

At work I am a team lead for my call center.  This is a new assignment and as such the new guy gets the fun job.  I go through the antiquated timekeeping system and figure out which of th hundred csrs punched in late.

I approached my manager and suggested that I try coding a new timekeeping system.  She said ok...now I have found that I have some questions.  The main one is this:  has anyone here done something like this and impressed the boss so much that they put the system into use?

(All other questions fall into another category, so I will stick to this for now)

Thanks

My very first php application was just that, an attempt at impressing the boss by creating a solution that filled the void of a particular automated system.

It was not used probably because it sucked. I'm glad I created it though. It's what got me started learning PHP and was certainly a positive worth while experience.

Yep, that's pretty much my job.

The main one is this:  has anyone here done something like this and impressed the boss so much that they put the system into use?

(All other questions fall into another category, so I will stick to this for now)

Thanks

I remember when I was young and wet behind the ears and I looked at systems and programs and programmers in awe, thinking they were flawless and perfect and one day when I grow up, I want to be just like them and make things just like that, and hopefully someone will find my work worthy of using.  I daresay it was almost spiritual.

But the more I learned what goes on under the hood and the more I grew up, the more I realized it's really not that mystical.  Whatever system is in place was made by some avg. Joe just like you.  (S)he just happened to be there at the time, and it's probably averagely written (could have been done better) and it's most certainly outdated (or you wouldn't be looking to replace it). 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.