Programming a site for a Designer to Design

Mutley

I'm soon to programme a site, then have someone else design it.

What's the best practical way to do this, to make it as easiest as possible for the Designer? Do I literally just do a script with no formatting, or do I do the layout myself and let the designer go in and alter it all?

Anyone else have experience of Programmer+Designer cooperation? Any tips or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Nick.

I'd say: if possible contact with the designer to ask what would suit him/her best.

If not, then you should create some sort of template system, that will allow the designer, to create html without messing up with your PHP code.

That is definitely the best way. You want to create a system that separates function from design.

Read up on the phptemplate system. I don't know how easy or difficult it is to integrate it, but it works quite well when used.

Basically the concept is that the template is read in by the system, variables are swapped, and then it is outputted. This means that the designer can do whatever he wants, you just make your program read in the files he creates.

• 3 years later...

If you want your website to succeed in the online market and make a mark amongst your customers then you should hire a Joomla developer and give your website a competitive edge to survive and win in this cut throat market.

Anyone else have experience of Programmer+Designer cooperation? Any tips or suggestions appreciated.

It's the Designer's job to create the CSS, the programmer's job to create the PHP, and you work together to decide what the HTML code needs to look like. The Programmer may also have to program any JavaScript that may be requested. That's usually how I've done it.

The designer may create the whole HTML template with the programmer filling in marked sections. It really doesn't matter, as long as both parties agree as to what jobs they will be performing.