[SOLVED] MySQL.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close (Help ?)

markpouncey

Hey,

I am new. I am also new to WAMP. I have been going through the tutorials @lynda.com and I just downloaded the newest version of WAMP from some frenchie site. I am running XP Pro and setting it up as localhost so I can develop off-line. After I complete the installation I get a message that says "mysql.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" this doesnt happen on the tutorial-- but he's working on a mac for one thing. I think it is some kind of conflict with the windows settings for security or something. I install WAMP on this machine (an Acer net-book) and it goes fine-- just like the tutorial. On my desktop machine which is never hooked up to the net (the one I am having trouble with and getting the message on) I am using IE as the default. I tried disabling Windows Defender as best as I can but still get the message. I know that I am not the only person who has had this problem because on the forums for the site where I downloaded WAMP I saw some other folks with this same question but the moderator would not give specific info for fixing this-- and when I kept pressing over several posts he basically told me to buzz off and goto google. Can you guys help me identify what is wrong and how to correct this ? I hope this doesn't get asked every five minutes and is in the FAQ's somewhere but I looked and am a new guy so if ya'll would help I would be grateful.

kind regards, markpouncey

Um, yea-- thanks a bunch old chap. I was kind of hopful that I might interact with a native english speaker. Anyone ? Anyone at all... (real quiet around here, ya know ...) ?

Yea. Any way the newest version of WAMP is --I believe, the newest version of WAMP as it were old chap (alluded to in my original post).

--HERE IS WHERE I AM AT : Click by click I have backtracked and the only possible difference between what happens on my desktop computer (won't load-- never hooked up to net) && my net-book(loads perfect first time, more than one time-- hooked up to net now) is that this net-book haas FF as the default browser and does not have Windows defender on it.

I am going to instal FF on the desktop that is giving me troubles and try again and remove Windows defender (how I don't know but I am working on it) and hope it works with FF as the default browser for localhost the first time. And um, thanks for the --uh, well ah.......

markpouncey

WAMP stands for Windows - Apache - MySQL - PHP, so asking what exact package you're using makes sense. As you say you downloaded it from 'some frenchie site' I suppose it's WampServer 2.0.

I've been using it for several years now, and did not encounter a problem like yours. The default browser should not have anything to do with it. I am not sure about Windows Defender... I have WampServer running on Vista with WD, and I've no problems with MySQL...

You might try downloading MySQL package straight from MySQL site, and installing it in stead of the one that comes with WampServer. If you install it in c:\wamp\bin\mysql\ and create a wampserver.conf file in its folder, you'll be able to switch between two installations from the tray menu.

Thanks guys-- I'll try both of your suggestions. Again I am very, very new. I have an Acer net-book (this one) that is running XP Pro and I don't think windows defender is on it (I just got this one for Xmas @ walmart and love it) and the WAMP installation goes off without a hitch just like the tutorial I've been working with says it should. The big computer at my house has XP Pro, and windows defender (I was just guessing that was the problem-- I am not positive) and is never hooked up to the net. I installed FireFox last night and used it as the default browser but still got the "mysql.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" message (which is what my problem is). I used the exact same installation (download file) and it works on one machine but not the other. Now that I have tried it with FF as the default and still had the problem I am ready to move on to the next set of possibilities. I know when I put Adobe CS3 on my big computer I had to take it down to the computer shop and hook it up to the net to get the registration to go through and the same with Adobe AIR. I wonder if I have to be hooked up to the net to get the initial installation to go through? If it's not that or one of the two things ya'll mentioned it makes me think something in the security settings on the desktop machine is blocking and refusing the MySQL from coming up. Alson when I left click on the icon in the lower right of the screen and try to re-start MySQL-- I get a command window open up and ask for a password (shouldn't ask for one yet, do ya'll agree ?) and when I hit enter I get a loud warning beep out of my desktop computer. Again the install on this net book goes off without a hitch. I think that is a pretty good argument for the downloaded file being o.k. ?

Thanks for your time and help.

kind regards, mark_p

I wonder if I have to be hooked up to the net to get the initial installation to go through?

No you don't. I've been installing both standalone MySQL and WampServer on netless computers, and it does not need any registration procedure.

Alson when I left click on the icon in the lower right of the screen and try to re-start MySQL-- I get a command window open up and ask for a password (shouldn't ask for one yet, do ya'll agree ?) and when I hit enter I get a loud warning beep out of my desktop computer.

You're probably starting MySQL console (mysql.exe). This is not the server itself, but just... well command line from which you can perform some administrative tasks or test your queries. I just tested, and it will indeed ask for password, even if MySQL server is not running.

To try to restart the MySQL server (mysqld.exe) go to Tray Menu > MySQL > Service > Start/Resume Service

Thanks buddy, this is the kind of advice I'm looking for and I appreciate you. Any thought on why it loads on my netbook without a hitch and won't let mysql start on my desktop ?

I don't think its windows defender anymore-- frankly I don't know what it is.

I would hate to wipe the hard drive on my desktop and re-install everything only to find out its something else, though I am willing to do it.

kind regards, mark_p

*** ATTENTION !!! ***

Looks like some brainy chap on the frenchie site cracked it dudes--

and I quote...

"Re: mysqld.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close

Posted by: grez868 (---.bb.sky.com)

Date: January 19, 2009 03:29PM

I solved this problem pretty easily

First encountered the problem with WampServer2.0f.exe on windows xp sp3 - worked fine on vista ultimate.

First, I uninstalled wamp server and deleted all DIRs other than the www DIR, then used registry mechanic to scan and fix registry problems on my PC, followed by a few manual registry edits by myself

Click start, run, type regedit and click OK.

Press F3 and enter wamp and click search - delete the result that pops up and press search again, repeat until all entries called wamp are removed.

Install WampServer2.0c.exe and everything is working fine so far

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2009 03:30PM by grez868. "

Whoa Mon--this dude is TOTALLY KEWL !!!

Here's an add'l morsel I found on an unrelated site...seems worth consideration:

" You have to turn off IIS (Windows built-in web server) in XP- I am assuming you are using XP Pro.

You do that by going into Windows Administrative tools and then Services.

In there, look for IIS and disable it."

In my humble opinion, this dude is also TOTALLY KEWL !!!

k.r., markpouncey

It's in same place where 2.0f is

http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?groupname=wampserver&filename=WampServer2.0c.exe&use_mirror=mesh

Anyway: IIS should not conflict with MySQL. If anything, running both Apache and IIS might be tricky (because they both want to run on port 80). Maybe you have MSSQL server running (it's shipped with new versions of Autodesk software for eample)?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, thanks so much for the link to WAMP2.0c-- I did the registry edit thing and removed all traces of WAMP2.0f, then I installed WAMP2.0c && it worked fine without a hitch the very first time ( lot to like about that ). I am very grateful to all you guy's for your input and help. Thanks a million.

kind regards, mark_p

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.