limit in text area

contra10

i'm trying to limit the amount of characters entered in text area

but it won't limit

<textarea name="description" type="description" cols="50" rows="7" maxlength="10" STYLE="color: #FFFFFF; font-family: Verdana; font-weight: bold; font-size: 12px; background-color: #72A4D2;"></textarea>

at the same time...i also want to show the information that is entered into mysql using php...it shows but in a straight line...how can i use html to limit the amunt of words in a row

<?php
echo "<tr><td height='200' valign='top' align='left'>$evdescription</td></tr>";
?>

there is no imposed limitation attribute on the <textarea> tag. Only on the <input type=text> will that limitation work.

Although I did find this option available, but only with the use of javascript.

http://javascript.internet.com/forms/limit-textarea.html

Not a very good solution with the amount of people that turn js off these days.

Still though, My recommendation would be to do a javascript counter maybe as just a way of notifying the user they have "x" characters left, and that the form handler will truncate anything larger than X characters when submitted.

Place between <head> and </head>

<!-- Begin
function textCounter(field, countfield, maxlimit) {
if (field.value.length > maxlimit) // if too long...trim it!
field.value = field.value.substring(0, maxlimit);
// otherwise, update 'characters left' counter
else 
countfield.value = maxlimit - field.value.length;
}
// End -->
</script>

Place in <body>

<!-- textCounter() parameters are:  text field, the count field, max length -->

<center>
<form name=myform action="YOUR-SCRIPT.CGI">
<font size="1" face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"> ( You may enter up to 125 characters. )<br> //change 125
<textarea name=message wrap=physical cols=28 rows=4 onKeyDown="textCounter(this.form.message,this.form.remLen,125);" // change 125 to anything you wish
onKeyUp="textCounter(this.form.message,this.form.remLen,125);"></textarea> // change to same as abovce
<br>
<input readonly type=text name=remLen size=3 maxlength=3 value="125"> characters left</font> // change 125
</form>
</center>

I'm sorry but this incorrect/deprecated centering is my little pet peeve...

Don't use html to center contents because it adds additionally markup, when css can do the same thing. Additional markup creates a bigger headache for php developing. The less code you need to dynamically create, the better.

text-align: center; should only be used for inline TEXT. Margin: 0 auto; is a good way to center any fixed width block elment, such as a div or pargraph.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.