Chosing the correct forum to post in

I think you need to state more precisely what a specific forum is for. As an example many people post in the forums under the 'PHP Discussion' category when they need help for some code that is not working. As far as I understand by reading that category name, those forums are for discussion of PHP, split up in certain forums, e.g. 'PHP SQL' and 'PHP General'. Some people even post in the 'Miscellaneous' for help with their scripts. Additionally I think the moderators and administrators should give more work in moving topics to the correct forums, as it is cluttering up the forums with topics you weren't expecting to see when viewing the forum, which makes it harder to find topics in the subject that you wan't to read.

[QUOTE]Additionally I think the moderators and administrators should give more work in moving topics to the correct forums, as it is cluttering up the forums with topics you weren't expecting to see when viewing the forum, which makes it harder to find topics in the subject that you wan't to read.[/QUOTE]
That's easy for you to say. Have you ever tried managing a forum of this size? After a while, there are so many misplaced topics you have to move around that after a while, it just gets tiring. PHPFreaks is a midsized forum, and the admins can't fix every problem. They try, but they can't just fix everything I'm afraid.

I think you're missing the fact that 99% of the posts in "PHP Discussions" are not from our members.  Those questions are syncronized from another forum.  I believe most of our members post in PHP Help.  It was even worse when we had PHP Newbie Help as well.

And as for "admins and mods doing their job"... I apologize that not all the topics are moved instantly.  We have tried to keep a wide array of mods in different parts of the world and varying time zones, with both the maturity and knowledge required of the position.  However, some posts still slip through the cracks, and you must keep in mind that it is of the discretion of the moderator whether a post should be moved or not.

One way you can help us is using the "Report to moderator" link found in each post if you think a thread is in the wrong area.  That emails the entire moderator team and posts will be moved within minutes 95% of the time.  If you make a valuable contribution to this community over time, we may consider you for a mod someday.  Just keep that in mind.  I was in your position at one point as well, complaining about mis-placed posts.  Now I'm an admin. 

[quote author=ober link=topic=100181.msg395082#msg395082 date=1152622694]
I think you're missing the fact that 99% of the posts in "PHP Discussions" are not from our members.  Those questions are syncronized from another forum.  I believe most of our members post in PHP Help.  It was even worse when we had PHP Newbie Help as well.

And as for "admins and mods doing their job"... I apologize that not all the topics are moved instantly.  We have tried to keep a wide array of mods in different parts of the world and varying time zones, with both the maturity and knowledge required of the position.  However, some posts still slip through the cracks, and you must keep in mind that it is of the discretion of the moderator whether a post should be moved or not.

One way you can help us is using the "Report to moderator" link found in each post if you think a thread is in the wrong area.  That emails the entire moderator team and posts will be moved within minutes 95% of the time.  If you make a valuable contribution to this community over time, we may consider you for a mod someday.  Just keep that in mind.  I was in your position at one point as well, complaining about mis-placed posts.  Now I'm an admin. 
[/quote]

I'm sorry if it sounded offending the way I said you should use more time moving topics, but I just find it annoying the the [i]users[/i] can't post in the correct forums, and since you guys are the only ones with the powers to move the topics, I probably let my irritation off on you, which obviously was wrong.

I have noticed that many topics are by guests, so perhaps an idea was to disable guest-posting?

I weren't quite aware that the 'PHP Discussion'-posts were from another forum... what forum is that?

Guests cannot post anymore.  This was an issue early on and for a very short period after our conversion to SMF, but that problem has been corrected unless I am mistaken (which I'm fairly sure I'm not).  We will never be able to stop the wave of idiots that can't post in the correct boards.  If we could do that, we'd probably also have figured out how to stop spammers, and we wouldn't need mods or admins.

Each board in that PHP Discussions area has a description saying where they are synchronized from.

[quote author=ober link=topic=100181.msg395157#msg395157 date=1152627529]
Each board in that PHP Discussions area has a description saying where they are synchronized from.
[/quote]
This may be a stupid question, but I don't know where that is. Could it e.g. be http://groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.lang.php ???

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.