myscandinavia.org - Critique please?

haaki

Hi,

I just discovered this great forum!

I am creating a website called MyScandinavia.org. My goal is to make a well functioning travel guide for Scandinavia. So far I have focused on the part about Norway, and I want the different countries to have their own independent travel guide.

I am interested in feedback on design (I have created this simple design using tables in html/css), layout, menus, etc.

Thank you very much for all tips, comments, critique and advice!!

poorly coded

design needs some work, the header part is just a cut out image with text on it

yeah, my coding experience is limited to this site only (and my even more poorly coded home page hakonkavli.com). I have been teaching myself html and css while creating this site, so the codes are messy..

But I am more interested in how the site looks for a person using the page for what it is meant for (information about travel in Scandinavia), not really what a programmer / webmaster would think of it. If that makes sense?

So I want it to look nice (not too fancy), be user friendly, easy to navigate, etc.

But thanks for the quick feedback!!

Link to the website: www.myscandinavia.org

It's pretty good, but some quick things I noticed...

The header is slightly smaller than the main white area.

Since the header's corners are rounded, you might want to do simular to the main box.  Or, preferred, don't round the corners on the bottom of the header.  You might want to use a border on the main area too.

I'd make a divider between the side menu and the main content, maybe even make it gray or some easy color to seperate it from the main content.

The content isn't centered on the page (as popcornplya said).  You shouldn't set a fixed position as it varies based on people's screen size.  Instead, fixing the box area size is okay, just have the browser "center" the content.

Good otherwise, navigates well and easy to read/use, nice layout.

David, thanks for very constructive feedback!!

I will play around with corners, borders, etc. I sort of like that the content is placed a bit to the left on the screen, but I guess it makes more sense to have it centered.

I am still interested in more comments if somebody out there have any suggestions or advice for me..

Link to the website: http://www.myscandinavia.org

Thanks to you all!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.