A suggestion?

Hey guys,

I guess this is a suggestion as I didn't really know where else to put it. Though about FAQ and Code Repository but I'm not allwoed  :P

Anyway... I'm sure most of the developers here end up in as much pain as me when it comes to testing in IE5.5, IE6, IE7 and the new IE8 (beta 2) (well, maybe not IE5.5). Before you even start testing you need a way of running all these, I've tried many different approaches including a second OP on VMWare and MultipleIE. This was all fine untill IE8 which has now caused newer problems for me... it makes my IE6 think that it's 8.

Anyone that's used the following bit of code;

<!--[if IE 6]>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css/IE/IE6.css" />
<![endif]-->

will be able to appreciate the senselessness of running IE6 if it thinks its 8, all the css hacks get ignored.

OK, rant over.... I've just found a probgram/browser called IETester that works imaculately, my suggestion is to use your news/blog or one of your other medias to follow cross-browser support.

Feedback much appreciated

gevans, have you tried downloading IE RC1? Not sure if this will help out or not.. worth a shot perhaps..

As for me, I chose not support IE 6 or under anymore.. (yeah, I know.. I've already been through the ringer about it...) and for IE 7,8 and others like FF3, Opera 9, Chrome 1, etc... I use the same CSS files for all of those. Life is sooo much easier without outdated IE.

Unfortunately because of my clients I have to support IE6 (seeing as they still have a 20%ish market share). Apart from that point I use a signle stylesheet for FF2, FF3, Safari, Chrome, Opera 9 and other gecko browsers as you mentioned, and the changes for IE6 and IE7 (IE8 seems ok so far, fingers crossed)

hey!!! me mum uses ie6 and she doesn't work for the government we wouldn't want her to miss all these smashing png graphics.

hahahaha

Stop this IE BS, switch to Firefox now!

Especially IE6, only people who use that are the government, cause they are always 5 years behind everyone else!

IE6 is dead, get used to it! :)

Unfortunately people pay me to make websites and I have to make sure their sites work on the most popular browsers, unfortunately the most popular browser sucks and is a living hell, personally FF3

hey!!! me mum uses ie6 and she doesn't work for the government we wouldn't want her to miss all these smashing png graphics.

hahahaha

Stop this IE BS, switch to Firefox now!

Especially IE6, only people who use that are the government, cause they are always 5 years behind everyone else!

IE6 is dead, get used to it! :)

Unfortunately people pay me to make websites and I have to make sure their sites work on the most popular browsers, unfortunately the most popular browser sucks and is a living hell, personally FF3

Anytime someone questions me on IE6, I say tell your users we do not support or you can find someone else to do that.

It is such a pain in the but it is not worth the time to try and fix it, cause 1 fix for one browser breaks another etc. And since IE6 is going to be outdated by IE7 and IE8, it is not worth it to code for it.

Especially since IE8 is suppose to comply with standards...we will see how that goes. But that is just me.

Well, I'll look at it this way:

On my site, out of the 1.3mil hits in the past month from IE users alone, 37% are still IE 6.0

I'd say that's still a big market.

Yea, probably. I display a warning on my sites to IE6 users to update their outdated software and to alert them about FireFox.

The funny thing is, people still use the old versions, which really Microsoft probably will not care about IE6 once IE8 is out, and wonder why they get spyware and virus's.

As for me, it is not worth my time as a programmer to debug CSS issues, I actually charge double the amount to debug css issues resulting in an outdated browser to be "hacked" to work. If they are willing to pay me double per hour, great. I am all for fixing it.

But I am a stubborn guy and they would rather higher someone at $15/hour to solve that headache for them.

67.4% IE users on one of my sites, and 15.1% IE 6 users....

Hrmmm I wouldn't have expected that site to have 15% IE 6 users.  Weird.

"Yea, probably. I display a warning on my sites to IE6 users to update their outdated software and to alert them about FireFox."

Do you do that on client's sites?  I can't imagine that going over well with a client x.x.

...The funny thing is, people still use the old versions, which really Microsoft probably will not care about IE6 once IE8 is out, and wonder why they get spyware and virus's....

As it is, MS is trying to deter people from using version 6.. By example, on a fresh XP machine, if you go and try to download IE 6, it won't let you (or at least, it didn't let me.. pointed me to IE 7 instead). If you install IE 8 RC1, it's irreversible. So MS is trying to keep the IE line moving forward (and with good reason).

On that last note (which admittedly is off topic), I recently made the mistake of installing RC1... then noticed that they (MS) tweaked the 'Compatible View' mode (which I thought was the actual IE 7 rendering engine, but turns out from what I have seen / read, its a close approximation, and appears to be a moving target.. so I could not revert back to the IE 7 application browser.. All I can say to Microsoft is, thank god for Norton Ghost! So here I am, back with a clean slate..(and will not install IE 8 for quite a while).

"Yea, probably. I display a warning on my sites to IE6 users to update their outdated software and to alert them about FireFox."

Do you do that on client's sites?  I can't imagine that going over well with a client x.x.

"my sites" The client has to either pay out or higher someone cheaper for me to do that.

@corbin ms updates, it is there. People just do not install it or have a pirated version of windows and cannot install it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.