I am trying to put together a job posting site. I am in the process of learning php and I have the newest dreamweaver. I need advice on a better host that is compatible with dreamweaver. So far yahoo and 1and1 are not. I am programming without dreamweaver, but it would be so much easier if I could use dreamweaver and it would connect to a mysql and understand the code. So far dreamweaver has been a waist of money because I have only been able to utilize it as a html editor, which I already had. I have heard alot of praises about this software, so I am under the impression that I need a new host or something. Any suggestions?
Thank you for your time.
beav33 

You should be able to use Dreameaver with any host as long as you provide the correct server settings/information for the project.

Also I'd recommend you to install a local server on to your PC, which will allow you edit your site offline, rather than having to download the file, reupload the file and then check to see if the update works. Editing it offline will be a lot better and faster. If you want to edit offline download a package called WAMP or XAMPP. Or if you want you can manually install Apache, PHP and MySQL.

When I go and set up my connections dreamweaver does connect to the mysql. As far as I understand with 1and1, you have to type php5 or php4 as your extension in order for it to be the latest. This was the problem with my free hand code in the beginning. With dreamweaver, I set up the connection and then start a form page. I use my db connect and match the table in mysql. Then dreamweaver places code for the record set and anything else, like sessions or so on. The php code will not work. It wont connect. It places a db connect file on the server with a virtual function or something like that to connect to the file that connects with the db. I have tried changing the extentions from the files dreamweaver uploads to the php5 extension, but it still flags errors. Sorry really tired, so this is messy. Anyway if I replace the db connect with my own code it still has issues. As for yahoo, it blocks dreamweaver period. So I am looking for a host that I dont have to use the php5 extension, just php, and that will function with dreamweaver's code.
Thank you
beav

I agree with cmgmyr. Install a server on your computer and work on it there. Then, just upload it after you know everything's working.

I use WAMP5 to isntall everything, but I've heard something called XAAMP works well also.

Cool, I downloaded XAAMP and will probally have some issues for this forum soon. Got to take the wife out tonight! I didnt know that you could do that, as for up load the db. I will try it tommarrow and get back to you, Thank you for your help.
beav33

Ok making progress. I downloaded wamp5 and installed it. I set up a new database and a table for a simple form to test the connection. I set up dreamweaver and got the connection. I tested it with a test entry and the data is in the table. Now for the dumb question. This is all on my laptop. How do I upload the db and website to, say 1and1. I asume I will upload this db instead of using the one they provide, or am I way off there. Once again, Thank You Very Much for the help!
beav33

On your laptop you would have to go into phpMyAdmin (install it if you haven't) go to export and make sure you get data and structure. Open up phpMyAdmin in 1and1 make a new database, go to sql and import your saved sql from your laptop. Update your config file with the information that 1and1 gives you for their database and you should be all set

-Chris

Open up phpMyAdmin in 1and1 make a new database, go to sql and import your saved sql from your laptop. Update your config file with the information that 1and1 gives you for their database and you should be all set.

In 1and1, they dont let me create a db. They create it for me. For example, there is a form to describe the db, then 1and1 sets the username and pw, so on. 
dbname: db164642202 username:  dbo164642202 password: V.cTEBJ2 hostname: db371.perfora.net description: book_sc

This is an example of a new db, with their assigned values.
When this is created I cant import a db of my own, only tables. This also puts the php5 extension back or it reverts back to earlier version making my code bad. So how in the world do you use this site. Do you have another package that allows you to create your own dbs or am I missing something?
Thank you
beav33

Wait, so they only let you have one database? That sucks.

Can you run SQL on phpMyAdmin? Even if you have to only use tables, you can still make them. You just have to change the values you were using to connect on localhost.

yes I can use sql with myphpadmin. The problem lies with the db connect with 1and1. Now that I have wamp5, I might be able to transfer the whole db to yahoo. Will try today. What host do you use pixy, if you dont mind me asking.
beav33

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.