[SOLVED] .htaccess question

ratcateme

I haven't really used .htaccess to much in the recent past and i am having some trouble blocking the include files from being read i have this in my .htaccess file

<Directory /var/www/html/notes/>
        <Files .inc>
                Order Allow,Deny
                Deny from all
        </Files>
</Directory>

thinking that should block all files ending in .inc but when i go to /notes/xajax.inc i can view the file.

where have i gone wrong?

Scott.

thanks thorpe but still not working i put that and only that in /var/www/html/notes/.htaccess

and still nothing i can still view all my .inc files

i also tried

<Directory /var/www/html/notes/>
  <Files "*.inc">
    Order Allow,Deny
    Deny from all
  </Files>
</Directory>

and without the <Directory> parts and without the quotes but i am a real beginner with htaccess and i can't seem to be able to work out how they should be used the google examples also seem a bit strange to me.

i also check thought the server config and confirmed:

AccessFileName .htaccess

Scott.

not working eithre before i tried that i went through my server config again it is a new server and found that AllowOverride was set to none on / and /var/www/html

i have set both to all and still wont work is there any way i can confirm my htaccess file is being run?

i am using apache 2.2

Scott.

i tied that no luck i even added that to the bottom of my httpd.conf file and still nothing i can view all the files ending in .inc

i even cleared the .htaccess file and restarted httpd and i can still view all of them

where could i possible be missing something?

i check /var/www/html/ and there are no htaccess files there

i have absouly no clue what is going on

Scott.

found the problem while looking through my configs i had one:

<Location />
    Order deny,allow
    Deny from all
    Allow from 127.0.0.1
    Allow from 10.
</Location>

basically to block the entire server from the internet for the time but should that be overridden by the htaccess file?

because as soon as i comment those lines out i get a 403 but when they are there it loads no problems

is there a better way to block my site from the internet temporally but still have the htaccess configs working?

or should i just take the port forward from my router?

Scott.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.