DO YOU EVER FEEL LIKE GIVING UP WITH YOUR WEBSITE?

give_up

Sorry i know that this isn't php related, does anyone ever feel like giving up on there website?, i got to the point where i can't even get one user to stay on my online game now :(

all throughout life i've never felt or give up, but now i feel like it more than ever!

Could be lots of reasons for that.  Maybe you aren't making your site visible to potential players.  Posting links on relevant boards/sites, etc...

Maybe your game just sucks, and you need to sit down and do some major overhaul.

Or maybe it's not that it sucks per se, but it's just another average, dime a dozen game, and you need to make it unique.  Give people a reason to play yours instead of just picking a random game out of a hat. 

The ONLY way you can ever fail is by giving up.

Websites are not traditional businesses.

You start and put alot of effort in and get 50cents for your first month, you do a bit more and get 1.50 for your second month and it grows like that ....but your building on top of work youve already done so youll get to a point of duplication, where minimal effort is needed to earn 6 figures monthly.

Its not "do now get paid now"...its "do now get paid later", as long as you dont give up

Apart from that, if you dont have a reason to visit you site daily, other ppl wont either - simple!.

Its good for your growth to have a few floppy sites, ive dumped 6 that have been squealers, and have 2 successful sites atm

Please do not come with your smurk remark's. Yes i am standing up to you.

About 30 of that 4k online in the 3 minute period are multi's. Not everyone can have around 500+ multi's and sign into each account in 3 minute's. So go some where else.

I know for a fact if you do the proper advertising and such the game will grow.

TC has been open for 5 year's now. Yet it's striving to gain more member's. Paying up to 3k a month for advertising. How do i know? Because a friend is a moderator on topwebgames.com and he actualy sometime's gets to approve a advertisement or not. So that is how i know.

And you know what? TC get's about $50k + a month. A game that has been open for 2 month's now got offered 12k for it the other day. It's getting $2k a month on donation's.

Find the right advertising campaign and stick to it. You will get some where.

Here are some stat's of TC which i guess your site will never get.

935 users online in the last minute

9,475 users online in the last hour (Most recorded: 10,183)

46,371 users online in the last 24 hours (Most recorded: 48,185)

::)

Sorry, but as someone who has been involved in several games, I find those numbers hard to believe.  I think what is more likely is your friend the moderator puffed up the numbers, or else someone puffed it up to him.  If they are somehow managing to pull that off, then more power to them, but that is not the norm.

::)

Sorry, but as someone who has been involved in several games, I find those numbers hard to believe.  I think what is more likely is your friend the moderator puffed up the numbers, or else someone puffed it up to him.  If they are somehow managing to pull that off, then more power to them, but that is not the norm.

I honestly think you do not know how much these game's can regenerate.

I have been involved in owning and running RPG game's for the past 5 year's. A game i sold which was www.killah-city.net made $2400 in 4 month's. Yet again. Go away if you know nothing about RPG game's please.

This is not a thread conducive to anything productive at the moment.  To the OP, I would say this:

Rather than venting, which is fine once and a while, but will not help you address issues with your website, why not instead post a link to it and request people to review it and make suggestions?  That might help you begin to understand what your underlying problems are. 

How come www.torncity.com has upto 30k online daily. And around 4k online within 3 minute period? Yet it's text based.

While 30k may be impressive for a text based game, that number is less than a drop in the bucket to the total number of internet users out there.. so in all fairness, to point to one 'successful' text-based game doesn't lend complete credibility to the games of all kinds on the net as a whole. My suspicions are such that replicating those kind of numbers for your own text-based game is much easier said than done (this is of course not to suggest that it can't be done).

But as others have mentioned.. if someone is going to build a text-based game, it's going to have to be unique / compelling / entertaining enough, all bundled into a smashing website design that draws people in. Even if the game is solid in itself, if it is encapsulated within a site that leaves negative  / poor impressions, the odds of success diminish that much more. A polished, clean, simple and inviting design coupled with compelling content is a great start.. perhaps marketing it effectively is another notewrothy aspect to consider. If you have all the ingredients in place from the site / game side of things, you'll still need to market it to get the ball rolling so-to-speak.

But personally, I wouldn't be placing any bets on text-based games being popular on the whole as an internet culture.

Why make text-based games, when making a game like WoW will bring you in what, 10 million users at around $100 per user just to get started then $15 a month per user....

Now we are talking some serious money!

But back on track to the OP:

I never ran an online game, honestly, in my opinion it is dumb. Not worth the effort and if your game does not offer anyone anything special, it will go no where. Do not feel bad.

To relate, I do run a website for an ad-free and free (blog hosting) and it has been online with no ads for about 6 or 7 years now, it gets frustrating that when I do ask for a donation from my 6k users no one donates a cent. But it is active, not hugely active and it pulls in about 40k "unique" hits a day. Which is great, I could sell out and throw ads on everyone's blog, but not worth it. Instead I just create a site that makes money and eventually I will develop the free blog site to have "pro" features that people can upgrade to.

I consider it still in "beta" still cause I really have not developed anything since 2006. So once I get a new version out with more bells and whistles and start my SEO program up again, hopefully it will start bringing in money from people who want the "Pro" features.

So in all honestly, you can give up if you are that frustrated. But for the type of website you are running, where there are only a handful out there that people actually play regularly. I would say either figure out a unique feature that grabs peoples attentions, or put your energy to a site that people actually want to do. Think of a new idea for a site, and run with it.

Hope all goes well for you.

EDIT:

Regarding the money part, I saw that you no-where stated funding and you just wanted people to play. But the same goes, make something unique and fun that is different and people will tend to want to play :)

6-7 years with no money?

I'm far too greedy to do that.  lol.

lol it was my "baby" project, I have to pamper it. That and I get my funds from other sources, so it is not really an issue. It would just be nice for a couple to do a donation here and there.

Oh well.... :cries: and now I am done :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.