I am thinking of installing linux on a 2nd hard drive on my computer because i want try using it but i also want to install php on a linux system.

Do any particular distributions of linux have any advantages/disadvantages for installed php etc on them? I understand some of them come with it pre installed?

As far as I know, all Linux distro's handle Apache and PHP the same.
I'm not sure which distro's come with PHP preinstalled.

if you want to learn linux and want something easy, i'd suggest Ubuntu purely because you're new to Linux. But if you know Linux, you might get bored with it.

you'll find this thread useful: [url=http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,100080.0.html]good free linux OS[/url]

Well i was thinking of trying Ubuntu, a friend has recently installed it and he has had no problems...and yes, im almost completely new to linux, my only experience is when my dad had it installed god knows how many years ago and all i can remember then was a game on there which was a wind up taking the micky out of windows.

well then i think Ubuntu is for you.

there are other beginner distro's as well but what stands out the most about Ubuntu is it's hardware support.
so, as a beginner, you won't spend hours scratching your head wondering how you can configure your hardware.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.