joining two queries

ratcateme

i have been coding in php/mysql for a while but stayed with very basic SELECT INSERT UPDATE DELETE

basically at the moment i want to do this

i have two tables

leaves(ID,
branchID,
type,
typeTableID)
and
types(ID,
table)

each has some more fields but they are dont matter here

leaves.type corresponds to a ID in types

basically i have a ID for leaves and i want to use it to get leaves.branchID, leaves.typeTableID and types.table

i tried

SELECT `leaves.branchID`, `types.table`, `leaves.typeID` FROM `types`, `leaves` WHERE `leaves.ID` = $id AND `leaves.type` = `types.ID`  LIMIT 1

and got

Failed. Error: Unknown column 'leaves.branchID' in 'field list'

is this possible and if so how?

Scott.

thanks corbin ill start to go without them

ok let me explain a bit further i am trying to remove a row from types.table and leaves at the moment i have it done with 3 queries

the first one to get types.table the second to delete from types.table and the third to delete from leaves

$row = get_row("SELECT leaves.branchID AS branchID, types.table AS table, leaves.typeID AS typeID FROM types, leaves WHERE leaves.ID = $id AND leaves.type = types.ID  LIMIT 1");
query("DELETE FROM {$row['table']} WHERE ID = {$row['typeID']} LIMIT 1");
query("DELETE FROM leaves WHERE ID = $id LIMIT 1");

(get_row() is a function that handles errors and returns mysql_fetch_assoc(). query() handles errors and returns the result object)

is there a way i could join all there queries to make one?

Scott.

Well, you can use JOIN in DELETE statements, so you could possibly do that.

Example:

DELETE FROM table1 JOIN table2 ON table2.somecol = table1.somecol WHERE table2.someothercol = 'something';

That would delete only from table1 even though it takes conditions from table2.  It's possible to delete from multiple tables with JOINs, but I don't remember the syntax.

Ahhh....  http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/delete.html Look towards the end of the article (not the comments).

Edit:  Hrmmm, actually, maybe it's not possible to delete from more than 1 table at once.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.