How to display an activity indicator during POST

jo.nova

From what I've read, I've gathered that doing a progress bar purely with PHP is pretty much impossible.

I'd like my form (which is used for submitting print-jobs to our print-shop's workflow) to display an interim message or image between the time that the Submit button is hit and the time that the confirmation message is displayed.  Since some large files take a while to upload, right now the customer just sees the form they filled out while their file uploads, with no indication that anything is happening.

Is it possible to do something like:

While (form data is uploading) {display message}; ???

Any ideas?

::Chuckles::  :D

Shogun, I looked at every one of those yesterday!  They're cool, but not what I'm looking for.  Thanks, though!

pixy,  I'd love to do it in Flash.....except I am completely bewildered by action scripts at this point. Isn't everbody?  ;D Wish I DID know flash, though.  Maybe someday I'll dig in.

i think you'd be well off looking into AJAX for this, since it's fairly simple to implement if you have the patience to understand the basis behind AJAX.  furthermore, after getting a basic grounding in AJAX, an entire world of options opens up.

try following the introductory tutorial at [url=http://www.ajaxfreaks.com]www.ajaxfreaks.com[/url] (pardon the blatant in-promotion), and then have a look on google for "AJAX".  apple.com in particular has a decent run-down of it.  it helps to know a little bit about javascript.

it's simple - run the form's POST request to your file upload script, and while the server is processing it, display an "uploading.." message or image into a previously hidden DIV.  get a good grasp on the basics and you'll find it's fairly easy from there.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.