[SOLVED] Doctype problem (Better explained)

Cory94bailly

Ok I setup a script on my site so I can show you guys what I mean with doctype on and off...

Here's what it should look like: http://etsoldiers.com/massattack?doctype=off

As you can tell from the url, it turns off doctype.

Here is with a doctype: http://etsoldiers.com/massattack

With doctype off, it bunches the pictures together and it looks right...

With doctype on, it spaces the pictures out and makes it look bad...

Any help?

Yep. First, leave the doctype in, it should be there. Then adjust your CSS to make it look correct with the doctype.

I already explained this to you in the other thread. You tweaked your code to work with no doctype, so after you add a doctype, you are going to have to fix it to look how it should.

Yep. First, leave the doctype in, it should be there. Then adjust your CSS to make it look correct with the doctype.

I already explained this to you in the other thread. You tweaked your code to work with no doctype, so after you add a doctype, you are going to have to fix it to look how it should.

But the thing is I don't know what the actual problem is.

I am horrible with css.

I don't know what is causing the problem.

You created the site in the first place right?

Start by deleting all your CSS, and start from scratch. If you don't know CSS well, then playing with it, using google, and doing some tutorials is your best bet. Asking specific questions, like 'why is there a gap between div A and ul B?' is something you are likely to get help with here. Asking 'how do I fix all this code to make it look right' isn't likely to get you much help, as its basically asking someone to write all your code for you.

You created the site in the first place right?

Start by deleting all your CSS, and start from scratch. If you don't know CSS well, then playing with it, using google, and doing some tutorials is your best bet. Asking specific questions, like 'why is there a gap between div A and ul B?' is something you are likely to get help with here. Asking 'how do I fix all this code to make it look right' isn't likely to get you much help, as its basically asking someone to write all your code for you.

A friend of mine did the image slices and made that layout part, I did the rest..

It seems like it would be SUPER easy to fix.. Just some small gaps and an image repeating itself..

What would happen if I took a doctype out? Would ALL browsers be able to access it fine?

Nope. That's most of the reason you give it a doctype.

IE in particular goes whacky. It goes into quirks mode when there is no doctype, which makes it do stuff in a quirky manner.

IE6 is the only browser that I'm currently aware of that will "freak out" over a nonexistant doctype. Although all other browsers will fare generally well, you are taking a huge risk by taking out a doctype.

The doctype is the most important part of your code. It literally tells the browser how to intrepet a page of code. Between html 3.2 and xhtml 1.1 there is quite a lot of difference. You would be suprirsed.

Always strive to use html 4.1 strict or xhtml 1.0 strict (or 1.1) because IE7 will only grant certain css style properties to those pages declared under such doctypes. It sounds wierd, but it's true. It's a bit like a "bonus."  ;)

Nope. That's most of the reason you give it a doctype.

IE in particular goes whacky. It goes into quirks mode when there is no doctype, which makes it do stuff in a quirky manner.

IE6 is the only browser that I'm currently aware of that will "freak out" over a nonexistant doctype. Although all other browsers will fare generally well, you are taking a huge risk by taking out a doctype.

The doctype is the most important part of your code. It literally tells the browser how to intrepet a page of code. Between html 3.2 and xhtml 1.1 there is quite a lot of difference. You would be suprirsed.

Always strive to use html 4.1 strict or xhtml 1.0 strict (or 1.1) because IE7 will only grant certain css style properties to those pages declared under such doctypes. It sounds wierd, but it's true. It's a bit like a "bonus."  ;)

I just checked pretty much every browser out there (http://browsershots.org) and they all seem fine without a doctype..

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.