Javascript with PHP

vidyashankara

[code]
echo "<head>

<script language=\"javascript\">";

echo "function add() {
var i = 1;
document.write(\"<input type=\"checkbox\" name=prot[] value=\"prot\"> Selection of Protonation of Residues:<br>SEGID : <select name=\"segid\">";

for ($i=0; $i<count($atm); $i++) {
echo"<option value=\"PRO$atm[$i]\">PRO$atm[$i]";
}

echo "</select>\")
document.write(\"Residue : <select name=resi> <option value=ASP>ASP <option value=GLU>GLU <option value=LYS>LYS </select>\")
document.write(\"Residue Id : <input type=\"text\" name=\"resid\" + i onClick=\"add()\"><br>\")
}";

echo "function cat(txt) {
alert(txt)
}";

echo "
</script>
</head>";

echo "<br>
<input type=checkbox name=prot[] value='prot'> Selection of Protonation of Residues:<br>";

echo "SEGID : <select name=segid> ";

echo "<option value=PRO$atm[$i]>PRO$atm[$i]";
}

echo "</select>

Residue :
<select name=resi>
<option value=ASP>ASP
<option value=GLU>GLU
<option value=LYS>LYS
</select>
Residue Id : <input type=\"text\" name=\"resid\" onClick=\"cat('Hello')\"><p>";
[/code]

Hi, this is the code that i have right now. For some reason, i cant call the javascript function when i click on the text box. All the variable like $atm is defined earlier in the script. I added another function "cat" just to test if its working, but its not calling javascript at all. how do i do it?

Thanks
Vidyashankara

Hi

Perhaps I'm wrong, but doesn't
[code]
document.write(\"<input type=\"checkbox\"
[/code]

Essentially open the double quotes, and then close them for 'checkbox' and then open them again?

If that is the case, that is where you're problem is. Try using a single quote:

[code]document.write(\"<input type='checkbox'[/code]
and see what happens.

Cheers

M

[code]
<script language="javascript">
function add() {
var i = 1;
document.write("<input type='checkbox' name=prot[] value="prot"> Selection of Protonation of Residues:<br>SEGID : <select name="segid"><option value="PROA">PROA<option value="PROB">PROB<option value="PROC">PROC<option value="PROD">PROD</select>")
document.write("Residue : <select name=resi> <option value=ASP>ASP <option value=GLU>GLU <option value=LYS>LYS </select>")
document.write("Residue Id : <input type="text" name="resid" + i onClick="add()"><br>")
}
function cat(txt) {
alert(txt)
}
</script>
</head><br>
<input type=checkbox name=prot[] value='prot'> Selection of Protonation of Residues:<br>SEGID : <select name=segid> <option value=PROA>PROA<option value=PROB>PROB<option value=PROC>PROC<option value=PROD>PROD</select>

Residue :
<select name=resi>
<option value=ASP>ASP
<option value=GLU>GLU
<option value=LYS>LYS
</select>
Residue Id : <input type="text" name="resid" onClick="cat('Hello')"><p><br>

[/code]

Thats my generated Code. it seems alright to me.

Ok, I removed the Function add() and the function cat() started to work alright, so There's something wrong with the first function.

The Generated Code
[code]

function add() {
var i = 1;
document.write("<input type='checkbox' name=prot[] value="prot"> Selection of Protonation of Residues:<br>SEGID : <select name="segid"><option value="PROA">PROA<option value="PROB">PROB<option value="PROC">PROC<option value="PROD">PROD</select>")
document.write("Residue : <select name=resi> <option value=ASP>ASP <option value=GLU>GLU <option value=LYS>LYS </select>")
document.write("Residue Id : <input type="text" name="resid" + i onClick="add()"><br>")
}

[/code]

PHP Code

[code]
function add() {
var i = 1;
document.write(\"<input type='checkbox' name=prot[] value=\"prot\"> Selection of Protonation of Residues:<br>SEGID : <select name=\"segid\">";

echo" <option value=\"PRO$atm[$i]\">PRO$atm[$i]";
}

echo "</select>\")
document.write(\"Residue : <select name=resi> <option value=ASP>ASP <option value=GLU>GLU <option value=LYS>LYS </select>\")
document.write(\"Residue Id : <input type=\"text\" name=\"resid\" + i onClick=\"add()\"><br>\")
}";

[/code]

Dude, you are amazing dude. Its working now!

thanks a lot :)

Just one little problem

in the following line, the onClick doesnt work, i tried /"add()/" and it still doesnt work. what do i do?
[code]
document.write(\"Residue Id : <input type='text' name='resid' onClick='add()'><br>\")
[/code]

the onclick='add()' doesn't work because you are using document.write()

document.write will over write the whole document (including your javascript code), you will need to use innerHTML to add the HTML to a div or another element

Here is a sample HTML and JavaScript code
[code]
<html>
<head>
<title></title>
<script language="javascript">
function add() {
var i = 1;
var txt = "<input type='checkbox' name=prot[] value='prot'> Selection of Protonation of Residues:<br>SEGID : <select name='segid'><option value='PROA'>PROA<option value='PROB'>PROB<option value='PROC'>PROC<option value='PROD'>PROD</select>";
txt += "Residue : <select name=resi> <option value=ASP>ASP <option value=GLU>GLU <option value=LYS>LYS </select>";
txt += "Residue Id : <input type='text' name='resid' onClick='add();'><br>";

document.getElementById('code').innerHTML += txt;

}
</script>
</head>
<body onload="add();">
<div id="code">

</div>
</body>
</html>
[/code]

Doesnt seem to work again now. I think i screwed up something.

[code]
echo "<head>

<script language=\"javascript\">";

echo "
function add() {
var txt = \"<input type='checkbox' name=prot[] value='prot'> Selection of Protonation of Residues:<br>SEGID : <select name='segid'>";
echo "txt += <option value='PRO$atm[$i]'>PRO$atm[$i]";
}
echo "txt +=</select>\")
txt +=\"Residue : <select name=resi> <option value=ASP>ASP <option value=GLU>GLU <option value=LYS>LYS </select>\";
txt +=\"Residue Id : <input type='text' name='resid' onClick='add()'><br>\");
document.getElementById('code').innerHTML += txt;

}";

echo "
</script>
</head>";

echo "<br>
<input type=checkbox name=prot[] value='prot'> Selection of Protonation of Residues:<br>";

echo "SEGID : <select name=segid> ";

echo "<option value=PRO$atm[$i]>PRO$atm[$i]";
}

echo "</select>

Residue :
<select name=resi>
<option value=ASP>ASP
<option value=GLU>GLU
<option value=LYS>LYS
</select>
Residue Id : <input type=\"text\" name=\"resid\" onClick=\"add()\"><p>
<body onload=\"add();\">
<div id=\"code\">";
[/code]

this is just HTML code, you need to make sure it's clean

for example, the <body onload=\"add();\"> shouldn't be in the middle of the page, you can just take it out (I added it just in the example)

the <div id=\"code\"> should have a close tag
[code]
<div id=\"code\"></div>
[/code]

You can put it anywhere you want (for example, before the <p>)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.