Regex for pub id

spitfire1945

Hey folks. I am a little weak in the Regex field

I just need to validate google adsense publisher ids which come in a "pub-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" (16 x's where all x's are numbers) format.

just the reg expression would be nice. Ill throw my guesses down though:

#$"pub-"^[0-9]{16}$#

??? am i even close?

Why guess when you can simply try it out? Testing / experimenting with things can be quite interesting as well as admittedly sometimes frustrating (not to mention, most importantly, educational).

Taking self initiatives can go a long way towards independence.

no i just simply fail at regex. It is probably the easiest and most robust concept but i cannot get it into my head.

Regex isn't necessarily hard, per say, but just slightly tricky at first. It's the rules of engagement that can kick your @$$ if you don't know what you are doing. You can have a look at the resources page as well as this tutorial from Darkwater. And of course, there is also this site as well as my favorite, this book.

Sorry for the link bombardment... there are plenty of options. As for regex itself, its just a matter of starting simple and building up. Overall, it's not hard, and quite nice to use once you really get the hang of it (almost addictive actually). I would need to attend a PCRE Anonymous meeting if there ever was such a thing...

no i just simply fail at regex. It is probably the easiest and most robust concept but i cannot get it into my head.

Regex isn't necessarily hard, per say, but just slightly tricky at first. It's the rules of engagement that can kick your @$$ if you don't know what you are doing. You can have a look at the resources page as well as this tutorial from Darkwater. And of course, there is also this site as well as my favorite, this book.

Sorry for the link bombardment... there are plenty of options. As for regex itself, its just a matter of starting simple and building up. Overall, it's not hard, and quite nice to use once you really get the hang of it (almost addictive actually). I would need to attend a PCRE Anonymous meeting if there ever was such a thing...

Thanks alpha! I did look at those. I did have some success today when i was running the preg_match command for alphanumeric and underscore only strings.

preg_match("/[a-zA-Z0-9_]$/", $var) (and then i looked at ur signature and lol'ed)

it worked, i think i could have also used /w if i am not wrong.

preg_match("/[a-zA-Z0-9_]$/", $var)

Alternatively, you could have done:

'/[a-z0-9_]$/i' <--------- the i modifier after the closing delimiter matches / captures case insensitive alpha characters

-or-

'/\w$/' <----------- the \w is a short hand character class for [a-zA-Z0-9_] ;)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.