The vanishing < mark...appears on screen, but NOT IN THE SOURCE!!

pixy

I'm writing my own forum script for a Harry potter website i'm doing. It's based on the entire wizarding world...but that's not the point.

Look at this...this is the admin page to create a forum:
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/vanillachick/imcrazy_1.gif[/img]

see the < mark? I can't figure out WHERE IT IS. I put font size to make it bigger so you can see it. Here's the HTML code:
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/vanillachick/imcrazy_3.gif[/img]

And if it even matters, the PHP code:
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/vanillachick/imcrazy_2.gif[/img]

[b][size=6]WHERE IS IT? I CANNOT FIND IT.[/size][/b]
It's driving me absolutely insane.

usually stuff will appear out of nowhere when it's SUPPOSED to be in a table but the table has been closed prematurely.  ie:

[code]<table>
<tr>
<td>Stuff in column 1</td>
<td>Stuff in column 2</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td></td>Stuff in column 3.
</tr>
</table>[/code]

"Stuff in column 3" is at the top of the table because it's outside of the cell code; it just gets shoved wherever the parser sees fit.

long story short:  look thoroughly through your table itself.  there is a renegade < somewhere.  my guess is on a "<</tr>".

If it's not in the source, try cleaning your monitor and see if the mark goes away  ;D

In real life, it IS in your source code.  Bet if you look really closely you find an orphan < somewhere in the code (and not necessarily where you expect it).  Almost certainly there's some tag beginning with << instead of <

To Akitchin, I tried doing that but whenever it went inside the table the font only affected the inside of that table...which didn't help.

I did find it though. It was all wonky and whatnot, but it's good now. Thanks for the help. <3

• 1 month later...
Hi have had this problem in a web site I made, it came out of know where and was no where to be seem in the source code. It drove me crazy, I looked every where, in the end, I some how managed to change the font color of the < appearing on the page to the background color. So I coulnt offer any advice.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.