New and improved again!

haaki

Hi all,

I appreciate your comments in earlier topics on my Travel Guide to Norway.

The coding has now been vastly improved (I hope, I am not a professional), and I think the design is also a lot better than last time. All my changes so far have actually been inspired by your comments, so I am very grateful.

I hope you will have some critique and comments to my new design: Norway Travel Guide at www.mynorwaytravelguide.org

Thank you being so helpful!

I didn't actually see your first one, but this one looks cool. Nice colors, and good rounded corners :)

However, it seems to wide for the page. You should try setting page width to 100%, if you've currently got it at a fixed value.

Also, it doesn't validate. There are only a few errors, so it should be easy to fix. But really, it's worth making your code valid! Good luck.

Thanks,

And then another beginner's question:

What are the advantages of having a valid code when it works as it is?

What exactly does it mean that it is valid? Does it matter if its not?

I was just wondering.. Thanks for all help

What are the advantages of having a valid code when it works as it is?

Invalid code leaves parsing interpretation to the browser in question. Depending on how bad the code is, the page may not render properly (but then again, it might). Therefore, do you really want to risk current (and future) browsers interpreting things their way and potentially have your site appear slightly (or badly, depending again on how bad your code is)  broken to your visitors?

What exactly does it mean that it is valid? Does it matter if its not?

When something is coded to standards (that is to say, the code is valid) this simply means that the web developer has taken the time to ensure that the code conforms to W3C standards. W3C (World Wide Web Consortium) devises languages such as html and css by example, and urges web browser manufacturers to implement those standards, so that as long as a developer codes by those standards, it should work. And again, it might matter if bad code is not interpreted by the browser the way the developer intended. It's always best to simply learn how to build to standards.

thank you nrg_alpha, that was very informative.

I have now validated the code on my index page and the main travel page. This is validated for transitional html (not strict). Are there advantages to choose the strict?

It should be pretty quick to validate the rest since I don't think they have much of the errors as the main pages had.

And while I'm at it; is there a way to "attach" one div to another? The blue column with "recent articles" is one div, and I'd like the orange picture below it (which is another div) to move down when I add more links to the blue div. Now it has a fixed position.

I also had a similar problem with making a footer..

And while I'm at it; is there a way to "attach" one div to another? The blue column with "recent articles" is one div, and I'd like the orange picture below it (which is another div) to move down when I add more links to the blue div. Now it has a fixed position.

You should get into the practice of floating divs instead of positioning them as you have done. By using css and floating your div (in this case, float: right), and then space it away from the div above it with margins, as that upper div expands in size (vertically), the one beneath it will simply shift down along as needed.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.