migration *sort of

scottybwoy

Hi,

I've just migrated from Windows to Kubuntu 8.10 (I doubt I'll go back its great) but didn't back up my database into a friendly sql file.

I still have access to my data dir under the win partition, and have tried to just move the appropriate files over to the new data directory and restart the MySQL 5.1 server, to no avail.  I've looked on google but no joy.  Anyone have any ideas, this is starting to frustrate me.  Thanks in advance.

I don't think you can migrate between Windows and Linux...I believe they treat endian numbers differently which breaks binary compatibility.

If it will work, you must use the same version of MySQL if possible...at a minimum, at least stay in the same minor revision series.  In other words, you can't go from 4.x to 5.x, or even 5.0 to 5.1 in most cases, but you can go 5.0.45 to 5.0.67, and so on.

Hmm,

I'm pretty sure I'm going from MySQL 5.1 - 5.1 so that shouldn't be a problem.  I found the ibdata1 files, in win data directories. however Linux seems to have just one main ibdata1 file in the data dir, where windows has individual ones for each database as well.  Therefore it doesn't look at the one for database I had before.

e.g.

Win

====

C:\\mysql\data..

\mysql\ibdata1...

\user_db1\ibdata1*...

ibdata1

Linux

====

$ /usr/var/mysql/data..

/mysql/...

/user_db/...

ibdata1*

Is there a way of merging the two ibdata1 files?  i.e. The one's with the *'s.

The thing you mention about the endian numbers though.  I experimented with replacing the main ibdata1 file with the windows one and restarted mysql, which when I opened it up again, displayed all the windows system databases you'd expect!  So maybe it's cleverer than you'd first think.

What configurations do I have to pay attention too.  Widows and Linux have different ways of configuring it, Windows giving lot's more options.  As it stands I know that they both use UTF8 Encoding.  What else do I have to find out.

And is there a program or something for Kubuntu Linux to merge the two files?

Second thoughts, do you mean I can configure the Linux MySQL to look in the $ ../mysql/data/user_db/ folder for the other ibdata1 file?  If so how do I do that?  Thanks

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.