Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

benmay.org

Executing a string perhaps?

Hey,
Here's the situation, I have a website with a template in /templates/boringtemplate/template.php
the template file is html with <?php echo($title) ?> along the way, normally, to display it dynamically, I just run all the queries, and include("templates/$templatedir/template.php") and it works great,

But, I am getting to the stage where my little cms cant be used by some clients due to them not having mysql etc.. I'm trying to figure out how I can generate a static page..

Here is what I've started on..

[code]
$filename ="static_$current_page.html";

$myFile= fopen($filename,'a');

if(! $myFile){ print ("File could not be opened."); exit;}
fputs($myFile, $string);
fclose($myFile);
[/code]

Thats fine, it will write $string to the desired html file. But.. How Can I get the string to include the answers the the php. In other words, I think I need to execute the php file, and save the result as a html file...

I could be wrong, but i think you need to use the eval() function:
http://uk2.php.net/eval

[code]$template = $whatever_source;
$template = str_replace('\\', '\\\\', $template);
$template = str_replace('"', '\\"', $template);
eval('$template = "' . $template . '";');[/code]

This will replace all variables within $whatever_source with their corresponding value in the calling script.

I suggest you use this method even for a mysql version, as it abstracts code from templates. (IMHO, an important thing to do.)

Also, when using eval, it is [b]SO[/b] important to validate user input! This cannot be stressed enogh.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.