Developing a site using Joomla

gnawz

Hi guys.

I know this sounds a little crazy...

Anyone with a resource to teach me how to develop website/web applications using Joomla?

I have never used it. I downloaded it and was told it makes web design faster and hassle free.

ha...my personal experience with Joomla has been horrible. if you are a beginner and just want a site, using a template you download (or buy) and using the plugins available on the internet, go for it. as far as developing a custom site in it that has all the exact functionality you want in it...good luck. i was 2 months into a project and pulled the trigger on it...i couldn't stand try to navigate the mess of code running behind the scenes

Hi guys.

I know this sounds a little crazy...

Anyone with a resource to teach me how to develop website/web applications using Joomla?

I have never used it. I downloaded it and was told it makes web design faster and hassle free.

plenty of recoures on joomla all over the world.

be careful not to buy the sales talk of what you was told

(it makes web design faster and hassle free.)

your statement

....me how to develop website/web applications using Joomla?

has to be carefully answered. Websites, yes i would agree, one could setup a decent professional looking website using joomla in under 5 minutes.

web applications however is quite another story.

In order to do *anything* at all but the simplest of things web application wise in Joomla, you have to know greek.

if you want websites, go for joomla. if you want web applications, it takes about 2 years to master it ( or maybe i am that stupid ).

that said, if you like the interface, it certainly is a pleasure to code within the joomla framework, on condition you rely on your own code strength.

relying too much on the framework would be an expensive mistake.

my advise would be make independent extensions that

can work inside the framework or while retaining a high degree of independence ( stand alone ).

making your own cms would be much better i think, but i f you need lof of funtionality, the other establish framework provide for that in a better way.

that be my 2cents.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.