"Developers Most Satisfied with PHP"

corbin

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/05/evans_data_gentlemen_prefer_php/

Kind of interesting.

But, only 500 people were surveyed.

Also, I have issues with "But both lost in the overall score to PHP, which Evans Data says has the second largest community of scripting-language users behind JavaScript."

JS has a large community????

The categories/winners:

Ease of Use: Ruby, PHP, Flex

Exception Handling: Ruby, Python, Powershell

Extensibility: Python, PHP, Perl

Maintainability/Readability: Ruby, PHP, Python

Cross-platform Portability: PHP, Ruby, Python

Community: Ruby, PHP, Javascript

Availability of Tools: PHP, Ruby, VB Script

Quality of Tools: PHP, Flex, Python

Performance: PHP, Perl, Python

Memory Management: Python, Perl, Flex

Client-side Scripting: Javascript, Ruby, Windows Powershell

Security: Microsoft F#, PHP, Ruby

Wish it had been more than 500 people....

The least-satisfied coders overall according to the survey, are those using Microsoft's VBScript.

Funny...

That was an interesting poll, although I wish they went into more depth.

It's interesting that ASP isn't on there.

ASP isn't a language but a framework. VBScript is in there and that is generally the language that asp is used with.

Unless of course your talking about ASP.NET and then you'd be talking about compiled languages not scripting languages.

Oh right, I didn't know that. Tbh, I've never used asp; PHP is the only server side programming I've ever used.

PHP is pretty good though...the syntax is so easy. Compared to something like C++, it's a walk in the park. Idk, this may just be because I'm 16 and still a bit of a noob, but that's one of the reasons I love php.

You're kidding, right?

Idk...it seems there are an increasing number of ".jsp" pages floating around. Would ajax based sites be counted as javascript?

jsp pages are written in Java, not Javascript. There is a massive difference.

You're kidding, right?

Idk...it seems there are an increasing number of ".jsp" pages floating around. Would ajax based sites be counted as javascript?

First, Java != JavaScript.

The former (Java) is a full-fledged Object Oriented programming language which is run by a virtual machine. It was developed by Sun Microsystems.

JavaScript is a client-side scripting language which is interpreted by a web browser. It was developed by Netscape (now Mozilla).

So, Java Server Pages, by themselves, are not JavaScript.  Most likely, JavaScript can be incorporated with them (much like how PHP can be used in conjunction with JavaScript).

AJAX, on the other hand, is JavaScript (the 'J' in AJAX is JavaScript), so yes, those count.

JavaScript is most likely the most widely used scripting language in the world. Virtually all modern sites employ JavaScript to do something. It is a cornerstone technology of the world wide web.

AJAX = Asynchronous Javascript And XML

I can't speak much on behalf of other languages, but I found PHP indeed very nice and easy to get into (and damn hard to stop [not that I want to though].. I feel like I'm on the verge of becoming some sort of PHP-crack like addict or something). I've had no serious qualms with the language thus far. Seems like it's very nicely set up overall, and does it's job admirably (unless of course, you code like crap - 'Garbage In, Garbage Out').

I have yet to try asp.net (haven't really looked into it yet). [my next target is likely C++]. But for web stuff, I'm completely content using PHP. So poll me in as person 501 ;)

Though of course you can use Javascript on the server-side.

I never really understood the point of doing it server-side.  Then again, I never tried it, either. :P

Probably because we have PHP to do it :D

I doubt server side javascript can match PHP. Although, feel free to prove me wrong; I am just speculating.

I have yet to try asp.net (haven't really looked into it yet).

ASP.NET is a completely different beast than PHP.

Essentially, the process that loads the site reads what browser the user is using, and serves up the right HTML to make the page look correct.  So, someone using IE and someone using Safari will (in theory) get the same visual experience, although the actual HTML may be different.

The process knows what to do because most of ASP.NET is written using server controls.  These are written much like regular HTML tags, but they're all 'aimed' at the server.  Something like:

<asp:Button ID="Button 1" OnClick="Button1_OnClick" Text="Submit" runat="server"></asp:Button>

So, when the user encounters that button, it may be a form's submit input or a generic HTML button.  You can also point most generic HTML tags to the server as well, simply by using the runat attribute.

There are a host of controls that automatically obtain and output database query results, so there's no need to loop through the results and echo them out manually.  There's also a great calendar control.

ASP.NET is, therefore, primarily a tag language like HTML.  The 'magic' occurs with using a processing language, in this case either VB.NET or C#.  The code here can be written in an inline style inside the .aspx file itself, much like how PHP can be used with HTML in the same file.  More importantly, it can also be used in a code-behind style, where the processing is stored in a separate file from the markup.

ASP.NET isn't without its flaws (like all languages/platforms).  I wouldn't recommend it for small sites, given its overhead.  It tends to have some issues when it comes to using CSS to format things.  And .NET itself is a pain to learn.  The libraries are nice, but there's a steep learning curve.

Still, it's another tool to put in the toolbox.

Wow, I somehow entirely forgot about this thread.

Actually, I just haven't been on since I posted it hehe.

Anyway, I must say, I have never seen a JS community.  I've seen sub communities for JS.  I guess I've never looked for a JS community though lol.

Hrmmm I think I might look into ASP.NET eventually....  I'll probably never get around to it though.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.