[PHP][MySQL] Inserting in the first tbl doesn't insert in the second tbl.

TAViX

Ok, I have 2 tables let's say first one is called batch_info with the following entries: batch_id (Primary Key - PK), trainee_num (FK), nickname (FK), etc,  and passport_id with those entries: passport_id (PK), trainee_num (PK), nickname (PK), etc...

As you can see in the first table, batch_id, trainee_num and nickname, are linked to the values from the second table.

Now, I have this script that introduce the values in passport_info table, but the problem is that this script doesn't also update/insert the values from trainee_num and nickname also in the batch_info table, even if the entries are linked...

MySQL: 

batch_info Links to:      trainee_num: dbrev00.passport_info.trainee_num ON DELETE: cascade ON UPDATE: cascade

trainee_num: dbrev00.passport_info.nickname      ON DELETE: cascade ON UPDATE: cascade

So my question is, how to update this code in order to have the same values in both tables??

mysql_query("INSERT INTO passport_info 
        (trainee_num, sur_name, given_names, middle_name, nickname)
        VALUES ('".clean($tc)."', '".clean($sn)."', '".clean($gn)."','".clean($mn)."','".clean($nn)."')" )
        or die(mysql_error());

Thanks in advance.

Perhaps reading how table constraints actually work would help

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/innodb-foreign-key-constraints.html

In short: they do not work on inserts

That's exactly what I have. So what's the solution? Any workaround of this? On short, how do I upload the same data, on the same rows but on 2 diferent tables? :'(

Bottom line: two INSERT queries are needed (well... in your case three - in other words: one per table).

However, inserting same data into three tables might indicate that your database design is flawed (i.e. not normalised)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.