Hints on why mssql_connect fails on one PC

stockton

The following code consistently works on all PCs tried on except my laptop.

Please give me some hints on why this may happen.

global $dbservertype, $servername, $dbusername, $dbpassword, $dbname, $link;
    $link = mssql_connect($servername, $dbusername, $dbpassword) or die("Unable to connect to T4T database");

I do have the client libraries on my laptop.

I do have mssql extensions enabled in PHP.ini

and MSSQL gives no error message that I am aware of.

All I get is the "Unable to connect to T4T database" from my own code(see below) & I am aware of the die on the connect line and I have coded that many different ways but mssql refuses to share any error messages with me.

$link = mssql_connect($servername, $dbusername, $dbpassword) or die("Unable to connect to T4T database");

if (!(mssql_select_db($dbname, $link))) {

echo "Error in DBConnect() = " . mssql_get_last_message();

sprintf($Message, "At %d in %s Could not select %s at %s as %s",__LINE__, __FILE__, $dbname, $servername, $dbusername);

trigger_error(E_USER_ERROR, $Message);

exit;

}

Really?

It shouldn't x.x.

Try:

or die("Error: " . mssql_get_last_message());

Maybe it's blank for some weird reason.  (If it's really blank, that will show just "Error: ".)

Hrmmmm, this might be an insulting question, but are you positive the host/username/password are correct?

Like, you aren't trying to use localhost or something on the laptop are you?

As you suspected adding your code and now all I get is "Error. "

host/username/password are all correct

but I do not understand your "Like, you aren't trying to use localhost or something on the laptop are you?".

If you mean am I browsing to localhost I am and the relationship between localhost and 127.0.0.1 is setup in my hosts file; did I mention that this system is on Windows.

If you mean am I using localhost in my configuration file to point to the database, yes I am.

and I am attempting to access the system(on my laptop) from my laptop.

Hrmmm I wonder if this is another infamous mssql_connect bug (which are usually caused by out dated client libraries).

If you use odbc_connect when mssql_connect isn't working, does it magically work?  If so, it's probably a client library issue.

Try enabling the "display_errors = on" in your php.ini

This should provide additional logging data in the returned page.

Make sure consider the warnings in the php.ini comments, and perhaps don't do this if your php server is internet visible.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.