www.techytools.com

GLD

I've decided to try and put together a website with webmaster tools (PR search, SERP rankings, meta tag generators etc...).
The URL is http://www.techytools.com/
I'd really appreciate feedback/criticism about the design and coding.

Thanks,

Not a bad site. Like the overall design, however I feel as though your menu needs a bit more work put into it as at the mement its a little bland. Also in few pages you have submit buttons that has the defualt "Submit Query" text. You should change it something else, suhc for the PR make change the button text to "Get Page Rank"

Also you have a contact page, which has your email addy in it. You should make a contact form for visitors to contact you rather than just provide an email addy. If you want to send an email with PHP use the mail function.

Well that my 2cents

Its ok. Very plain IMO.

At my current res. here 1024x768 -> its not in the center of the screen.

Your header bar at the top is very weak and needs more emphasis to set the scene.

You might want to offer some extra information regarding PR. Like explain how your measurements are done.

The link popularity tool works well.

Didnt get SERP working.

You dont stripslashes on queries. You also allow HTML TAGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your whois works well.

Other than that -> its ok. Not sure how many people would use. Its generally I keep useful links in my favourites. And you dont really offer anything new.

Potential. Make it a little more slick and appealling.

-steve

i'll touch on the design since stevewdr hit on the coding quite thoroughly (i agree with his comments on the coding aspect, too). i feel that the colors work well together. i think you've got a very nice, clean look to the site. i'm also very pleased to see that you took the time to write your HTML [b]and[/b] CSS to validate! kudos for that.

there are a couple little things i'm not super fond of, though. i love the overall look of the banner, but as stevewdr mentioned, there is really no emphasis to the title of the site or your catch phrase. you need to do [i]something[/i] with it, whether it be to enlarge or something (i'm not sure what, honestly :P). next, although i love the start you've got with the navigation, and i like the way it's very smooth, i [b]do not[/b] like it when text jumps in navigation on hover. your links all jump about 4 pixels to the right when they're hovered over. it doesn't look bad, i just never care for text i'm hovering over to move under my mouse. i like to know right where i'm pointing. the :hover background-color also looks a little too saturated for my taste. it's just awfully bright for the rest of the colors on the page. possibly de-saturate just a tad, and i think it will be great.

finally, i feel that you've got a [b]very[/b] wide content area for paragraph text. your forms work fine in it, but at the size you have your text, it really does get wearing to trace the text across that much space. i think either bumping up text size just a tad or coming up with a way to make the content area slightly narrower would help with that feel.

a little more explanation of all the features wouldn't hurt, either.

again, most of these things are just personal preference, but i really do like the look so far. i can't wait to see the finished product!

keep up the good work.

I agree with everyone's comments so far. I do like the layout and the design. BUT your site is a techy site, why don't you make it more techy looking? More modern looking. Right now it looks fine, but it's looks like a design site, not a techy site.

-Chris

Tjanks tto all of you for all of your comments!
I'm not quite done making all of the changes that are needed, but I'm half way there.
I've fixed the centering problem, changed the menu colors slightly, am working on a new banner with a nice logo.
I still need to add more explanations about the tools, a contact form, and obviously need to work on adding more unique ones.
Thanks again for all of the suggestions, they've been extremely useful so far. Keep them coming!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.