how to enable mod_rewrite through .htaccess

mojito

I need to enable mod_rewrite through .htaccess. Is this possible. I got this back from myhost godaddy

[quote]Thank you for contacting customer support. You may enable the mod_rewirte through a .htaccess file. As we do not provide scripting, coding or third party application support through this forum, we need to forward this issue to our Advanced Support department. By doing so, there may be fees incurred if the issue is NOT found to exist within our systems. If you choose to have us forward this incident, a member of the Advanced Support department will contact you. Please respond with as much information as possible about this issue and a copy of the script you are using attached to your response and we will forward this issue to Advanced Support. [/quote]

thanks for any help, and does anybody know if they do support this, they say they do by default phpinfo(); shows that it isnt enabled, but I would have thought it would need to be in apache config???

thanks for any clarity..

Then create a .htaccess file in your directory and place this in it:

RewriteEngine On

After that line, place any rewrite conditions you want in it.  If this doesn't work, tell your hosting company to set "AllowOveride All" in your virtual host to get it going.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Mojito. I have the same problem as you, have you found a solution? At Godaddy there's a piece in the Help Center about upgrading to Hosting Configuration 2.0

http://help.godaddy.com/article.php?article_id=1078&prog_id=GoDaddy&isc=

I can't do the upgrade, the Add On Languages icon is missing in my Content panel? Any clues?
Anyone else who has a tip on how to check if mod_rewrite is enabled (besides checking phpinfo that is)?
All and any help appreciated.

Rikard

I am using a content management system called joomla. So its a particular code for my mod rewrite, its quite an in depth thing and you would need to check a tutorial on it.

It uses regex to match up the string , do a search through the other posts here, im affraid it would be the blind leading the blind this time other than that
hope that helps

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.