Feedback on design

Ayon

Well as topic sais.. I need some feedback on the design. It's my first attempt on CSS design.. There are a cpl of link on there, but they're linking to non-existing files atm.. :P

I've tried it in IE8, Firefox, Opera, Chrome & Safari. Haven't found any design flaws yet... But maybe you guys will find some :)

www.hadrstyledb.com/wip/

CSS validates nicely (just some warnings).. But there's a repeating issue in the html validation.. was wondering how I could fix this problem? tried using span instead of p, but then it didn't look right :S

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fhardstyledb.com%2Fwip%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0

thanks for the feedback :)

i think i tried adding it outside the a.. but with a messed up result.. but ima try again...

EDIT: Ok, so now with some more effort and some minor changes to my stylesheet i've solved the problem .. :) thanks for making me try again

Good stuff :)

I don't mean to be condescending or anything, but you should really make it strict! You currently possess like 11 errors something in XHTML 1.0 Strict; all extremely easy to fix.

Plus, it looks more impressive on your source code :D

Well...to be blunt *HTML Transitional is considered sub-par by some. If your site is Strict, it's completely up to date with all of the newest compliances.

For example, just so you can see how easy it is to fix some of your few errors...

You have form name="...

Instead, you should use form id="..., as name is depricated.

You have used border="0"

When you should use css to achieve the same effect, eg style="border: 0;"

Same with align="left"

Yeah, if you fix these little errors, your site will be completely standards compliant, thus more likely to work cross-browser. Also, it'll look friendlier to google's spiders ;)

thanks for a well explained reply :) i'm pretty new to all this design stuff :P i've only focused on php and mysql .. so i thought that it was time to move away from tables and onto today's design methods :P

Okay, the dates on the 'latest news' and numbers on 'page statistics' aren't displaying correctly due to the CSS used. They are all pushed too far down.

Also the 'latest artists' box seems to be wider than the others, which I think has pushed the 'latest labels' box out of place as it is right at the bottom of the page and looks a bit odd.

Apart from that it looks fine :)

I'm using Firefox by the way.

What browsers have you tested it on?

It looks to me as though it's a simple CSS problem where firefox is giving a different result, although it's the same in Opera. Unfortunately I can't check ie at the moment as it's not working :/

Looking very quickly at the css and layout though, you could move the span tags that contain the date to before the news title rather than after.

<a href="#" title="News title..."><span style="float:right; padding-right: 8px;">[01-01-2009]</span>News title...</a>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.