PHP: Hobby or Job?

PugJr

PHP: Hobby or Job?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. PHP: Hobby or Job?

• Hobby
    • Job
    • Both

Added a poll for you, it seamed suitable for this thread!

I voted job - When writing PHP (amongst other related languages) for 12 hours a day, I'm not really inclined to make a hobby out of it too! Although, it did start out as a hobby 6 or 7 years ago when I was at school.

Both for me. Though I only do fairly simple php projects as I only have 8 months experience in php. I am primarily a web designer with 4 years in html/css and graphic design.

I'm surprised to see some faces above saying they only do this as a hobby. What, not even a little work on the side?

I tend to accept work I can handle and work that forces me to learn a little more. So I sometimes learn through necessity and get paid for it. Either way, I get paid to strengthen my abilities :)

Though I can see how this language can consume your life, whether it be a hobby or job. It's extremely addictive once you've got to grips with even the basics.

I've considered doing small projects for a little extra money.  This summer I might consider it more, but to be honest, I'm not confident enough in my abilities.  Well really I'm not confident in my attention.  When PHP is a hobby, it's perfectly OK to walk away from something that I get bored of, but if I agreed to do something for money, I would have to devote time to it.  I also worry that I would run into something where I would be like "Errr.... I've no idea how to do that x.x."

Corbin- I think that there are a lot of people in a similar situation as you.  I've been doing PHP for awhile now, just passed my 10 year mark on my first PHP site...talk about crappy code  :D

There are a few people in my area that are a similar situation as yourself that I meet with on a weekly/bi-weekly basis for an hour or two to on the cheap just to go over any issues that they run into, help plan system design, and do some code review with them to catch any issues.  I know a few other experienced guys who do the same, it's a good way for us to see a variety of code and teaching/explaining something always gives you a better understanding.

I'm sure that you could find someone around you that would be willing to do that too.  Maybe try asking at a meetup group or posting on a local dev board. 

Both - although I feel I'm too much of a perfectionist, and instead of getting decent code out there, I keep making minor adjustments... thus it's never really complete (typically my own sites). However, when deadlines loom around, I can get it done within the time frame.

xlyex - I just started meeting with some local programmers myself, and I must agree it helps a lot. I have to ask though, have you/do you attend any PHP meetings around? There is a group where I'm at, but I'm a bit hesitant about going for some reason

Mchl, I run into small things every day, but I would worry that I would run into something of which I would have no idea and have to tell the client I can't do it.

A PHP group in person?  Didn't know there was a such thing hehe.  I'm from a fairly small town, so chances are, there isn't a PHP group here lol.

IMHO: the worst kind of problem is "I know how to do it... but it doesn't work! WTF??!"

Spend some hours today scripting my GUI... and just had to drop one of the features for now, because I just couldn't get it to work. I'll come back to it when I clear my mind.

Mchl, I run into small things every day, but I would worry that I would run into something of which I would have no idea and have to tell the client I can't do it.

A PHP group in person?  Didn't know there was a such thing hehe.  I'm from a fairly small town, so chances are, there isn't a PHP group here lol.

http://php.meetup.com/42/

That's mine ;)

Overall calendar :

http://php.net/cal.php

I do it as both, PHP started for me out of necessity, I was a web developer but static sites were not cutting it for my clients, so I decided to learn it before I started losing clients. Turned out to be one of the best investments of time that I have made. But still I code as a hobby to keep my skills sharp and just to see what I can do and of course I code for my clients constantly updating code and creating new projects.

Php is my life hahahahahaha.

I do php, for a hobby, and for money, and for fun.

personal web sites or business web sites and friend's web sites all get my attention.

php is for life.

ps. there loads off php seminars and groups in London , there all at the pub lol.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.